Kawasaki KRX Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I already know the answer to the "is this ok to do" question so I'll change my question a bit. The oil change kit that was sent to me had the wrong crush washer. Sooo...while I know you really aren't supposed to, I went ahead and reused the crush washer. I was going to sand it down a bit (You Tube tip) but instead I took a close look at it under a digital microscope I have and while it did have a slight groove from the drain bolt head, the mating side was as smooth as could be and I didn't see any deformation. So I went ahead and used it. So my question is...do I go ahead and order a new oil change kit and change out the oil again right away and use a new crush washer, or do you think I can get away with leaving it as is until my next regular change?

If I leave it I'll check it pretty much every run but I'm just curious what others think.

And on another note...if you are a 2021 owner (hell maybe 2020's also) you'll notice on page 112 of your owners manual it tells you Kawa has used two different front case drain bolts. Some people got an M12 with a flat gasket-type washer while others got an M18 with an O-ring. My luck is that I got an M18 with an O-ring. The Manual says to replace the O-ring when you service the diff, but Kawa has no OEM replacement O-ring nor OEM M18 plug bolt. The only OEM parts are the M12 (p/n 92066B) and it's gasket (p/n 92065). Been in chat with Rockey Mountain OEM rep and he can't find one either. We suspect the 2020's have the M12/gasket while the 2021's have the M18/O-ring. My next call is to the dealer and see what they can tell me. Then I'll contact Kawa if necessary.

Sometimes it's damn frustrating living through the growing pains of a new model...

·
Registered
132 Posts
I've reused aluminum crush washers through several oil changes on 4 wheelers and dirt bikes through the years with no issue. With that said, I bought a package of crush washers to have on hand for the KRX. As for the drain bolt, I have the M18 on my 2021 and yes , I reused the O ring...no issues. For the next change I'll change it out for a new one. Get a kit that has different size O rings at your local parts store or take in your original O ring and match it up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2020 Green KRX
1,382 Posts
I already know the answer to the "is this ok to do" question so I'll change my question a bit. The oil change kit that was sent to me had the wrong crush washer. Sooo...while I know you really aren't supposed to, I went ahead and reused the crush washer. I was going to sand it down a bit (You Tube tip) but instead I took a close look at it under a digital microscope I have and while it did have a slight groove from the drain bolt head, the mating side was as smooth as could be and I didn't see any deformation. So I went ahead and used it. So my question is...do I go ahead and order a new oil change kit and change out the oil again right away and use a new crush washer, or do you think I can get away with leaving it as is until my next regular change?

If I leave it I'll check it pretty much every run but I'm just curious what others think.

And on another note...if you are a 2021 owner (hell maybe 2020's also) you'll notice on page 112 of your owners manual it tells you Kawa has used two different front case drain bolts. Some people got an M12 with a flat gasket-type washer while others got an M18 with an O-ring. My luck is that I got an M18 with an O-ring. The Manual says to replace the O-ring when you service the diff, but Kawa has no OEM replacement O-ring nor OEM M18 plug bolt. The only OEM parts are the M12 (p/n 92066B) and it's gasket (p/n 92065). Been in chat with Rockey Mountain OEM rep and he can't find one either. We suspect the 2020's have the M12/gasket while the 2021's have the M18/O-ring. My next call is to the dealer and see what they can tell me. Then I'll contact Kawa if necessary.

Sometimes it's damn frustrating living through the growing pains of a new model...
They’re fine after maybe 2-3 times re-using. They are there to prevent leaks from happening. If it’s not leaking then the crush washer is doing it’s job.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts