Kawasaki KRX Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2021 KRX 1000 blue tons of options
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went out for my first ride today. I put 50 miles on it. What a world of difference from my Gen 1 Wolverine. Things I would have braced myself for or cringed as I would be about to hit seemed as if they weren’t even there. My one gripe though, this steering wheel flat out sucks. I had the thick rubberized YXZ wheel on my wolverine and it was great whether it was wet, dry, or muddy. This one is too thin and gets slippery quickly. Small complaint but nonetheless. Anybody know of a good aftermarket wheel?
I did have one issue. Six miles into the day my check engine light came on and the low and full power indicators were both flashing on the dash. I had not touched low power but I had put it in 4WD. I shut it off to check the manual to see if there was anything about it but I didn’t see anything. When I fired it back up 5 minutes later everything was normal and stayed normal all day.

56105EE8-6C5C-403D-9AD7-8BAC8B790621.jpeg
F60B0921-419A-40B7-85AA-5D9C13C87A96.jpeg
9415490D-1D03-47FD-8F12-EBF6BCF74F6F.jpeg
A02F7808-1362-4905-BD34-89C90D55EA45.jpeg
163056A2-8B41-445F-BD97-708F39ED6685.jpeg
5F4129AD-CD20-4880-925B-D4BE7F1C5C65.jpeg

·
Registered
389 Posts
Just picked up a new Green one myself... Seen you're from summit county in another post. I asked how you got plated as I am from norton. Anyways, if we are in the same county... where you ride at? Brick yard and medina line are my closes places..or bear creek. But I ride mostly at my property in Guernsey.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just picked up a new Green one myself... Seen you're from summit county in another post. I asked how you got plated as I am from norton. Anyways, if we are in the same county... where you ride at? Brick yard and medina line are my closes places..or bear creek. But I ride mostly at my property in Guernsey.
I’m unfamiliar with brick yard or medina line. I’ve been to bear creek but just once. We ride down in Harrison county in Tipecanoe on the gravel roads down there and at Lightning as well as some of the pipeline easements. We go to Renegade Ridge when they have their events and to Mines and Meadows in Western PA. Mines just closed to non members for 6 weeks for trail maintenance though. A couple times a year we go to VA, TN, KY, or WV. I’m always looking for new places to ride.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I’m unfamiliar with brick yard or medina line. I’ve been to bear creek but just once. We ride down in Harrison county in Tipecanoe on the gravel roads down there and at Lightning as well as some of the pipeline easements. We go to Renegade Ridge when they have their events and to Mines and Meadows in Western PA. Mines just closed to non members for 6 weeks for trail maintenance though. A couple times a year we go to VA, TN, KY, or WV. I’m always looking for new places to ride.
Gotcha, Where my property is its all gravel rds. and I am right by the old Ohio power...even though you aren't suppose to ride there we do... But I have 30 acres myself and there are trails all over the place around me! I have had a slew of quads and sxs's and gotta say even without much seat time this KRX is the shit! Blows my buddies talon outta the water in EVERY way minus top speed and take off... But that's not why I bought it. I truly believe after what I have owned and months of research this is the best sxs on the market

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gotcha, Where my property is its all gravel rds. and I am right by the old Ohio power...even though you aren't suppose to ride there we do... But I have 30 acres myself and there are trails all over the place around me! I have had a slew of quads and sxs's and gotta say even without much seat time this KRX is the shit! Blows my buddies talon outta the water in EVERY way minus top speed and take off... But that's not why I bought it. I truly believe after what I have owned and months of research this is the best sxs on the market
I tend to agree. I haven’t really gotten on it yet. I’m waiting for the break in period to be over. I’ve got 57 miles on it now. Hopefully I’ll get out a few times in April to finish up the 120.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I tend to agree. I haven’t really gotten on it yet. I’m waiting for the break in period to be over. I’ve got 57 miles on it now. Hopefully I’ll get out a few times in April to finish up the 120.

Dealership told me 20 hrs for break in and that miles didn't matter

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dealership told me 20 hrs for break in and that miles didn't matter
You’ll find that many dealers don’t read their own product manuals. Lol. My dealer told me you 100% must use 89 or higher because that’s what the book says. Funny thing is, the book says 87 and the service guy told me the tank had 87 in it.
ED376DC8-E240-40B7-B6FC-0AA89B5E4474.jpeg

·
Registered
389 Posts
You’ll find that many dealers don’t read their own product manuals. Lol. My dealer told me you 100% must use 89 or higher because that’s what the book says. Funny thing is, the book says 87 and the service guy told me the tank had 87 in it. View attachment 2490
Right, I tend to ignore them myself but, typical is 20 hrs or 200 miles whichever comes first. Seems I hit the hrs before the miles because of the slow technical stuff.

·
Registered
240 Posts
See, I wasn't exaggerating. The hardest thing coming from the wolverine is resisting hitting the brakes. It don't matter if it's a rough area or you come into a corner a little to hot, just get back on the throttle it will work out better than the brakes. BTW, the brakes will get better around 100 miles or so.

You should post this at the old place.

·
Registered
2021 KRX Blue
352 Posts
I took mine to the tight local trails yesterday. I said I wouldn’t but changed my mind. The goal was to get as far as I could without tearing up the windows or flares on trees. Had to cut some trees out but ended up riding almost every trail, nearly 17 miles. Most at speeds under 8 mph because it’s so tight. Wow what a difference compared to the X2 on 27” tires. Rolling over fallen trees and rocks is effortless. Went through rutted out mud holes instead of around. There’s one area we ride a creek with a rock bottom and it’s very rough on the X2. In the KRX it was simple. Wow what a machine!

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I took mine to the tight local trails yesterday. I said I wouldn’t but changed my mind. The goal was to get as far as I could without tearing up the windows or flares on trees. Had to cut some trees out but ended up riding almost every trail, nearly 17 miles. Most at speeds under 8 mph because it’s so tight. Wow what a difference compared to the X2 on 27” tires. Rolling over fallen trees and rocks is effortless. Went through rutted out mud holes instead of around. There’s one area we ride a creek with a rock bottom and it’s very rough on the X2. In the KRX it was simple. Wow what a machine!

View attachment 2494
Man those tires look good.

·
Registered
2021 KRX Blue
352 Posts
If I could do it all over again, I'd do the 33's in the same tire. It would save some weight. The way I putt putt around it's not a big deal but its very noticeable that these tires are heavy. I seriously considered the 33's, they have the same extra big lug the 35's do. The smaller XTR370's have smaller lugs than the 33/35 sizes. The reason I chose the 35's was like flipping a coin. If I'd done 33's I'd always be wondering why I didn't do the 35's. If I choose the 35's I might regret the extra weight. It's not that much weight, right? Well it is... and it is what it is at this point, I'm damn sure not changing them now. It was quite a project to put these on.

Reactions: BobX2

·
Registered
240 Posts

View attachment 2494
How was it in the tight stuff? To me it's nowhere near as bad as some people would like to make seam. I think the length is the most noticeable thing.

I wish I would took a few pictures, I had the Rmax4 and the KRX both sitting out today doing some work on them and with them both of now on the same 33" tires the Rmax looks big even next to a KRX.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
To me it's nowhere near as bad as some people would like to make seam. I think the length is the most noticeable thing.
That’s how I felt too. My wolverine was just shy of 65” so the width is no big deal. The length I noticed for sure.

·
Registered
2021 KRX Blue
352 Posts
Just have to go really slow compared to the X2. The height got me too which I was expecting the length. On the X2 it’s as wide at the top so I’m familiar with driving the top as well as the bottom. The KRX is higher than anything else that’s on these trails. And she’s got big hips! Those rear fenders did a lot of flexing. I had a great time once we got to wider trails and I didn’t have to creep through. The main thing is it’s do-able.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts