Kawasaki KRX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2020 Kawasaki KRX
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This year is going out with a bang. Fires yesterday burned an estimated 1,000 homes near Boulder (about 15 miles from my home) and today we are supposed to get some pretty good snow. We have had an extremely dry year with 1-1/2" of moisture since mid June. 100+ mph winds dropped power lines and started the fires. There was absolutely nothing the first responders could do until the winds died down around 7:00 last night. It was like nothing I've ever seen. An absolute nightmare. Supposed to have a high of 16 degrees with snow continuing tomorrow and lows in the low single digits the next couple of nights.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Well that’s a terrifying sight to see.

I guess that’s one perk of getting rain all December

·
Registered
702 Posts
:( Front range is in our thoughts. Our agency got a mutual aid request but stood down. Might send Some crew/trucks cleanup support if needed. What a horrible disaster.There are countless without utilities and it's getting cold. Supposed to be -24 here tomorrow night.

·
Registered
2021 Blue
140 Posts
I saw some post-fire aerial footage this morning and was struck by it's similarity to tornado damage. One side of the street is ash, the other side remains unscathed. For as bad as it looks, there was no reported loss of life which is nothing short of a miracle.

Reactions: BobX2 and Remote 8

·
Registered
158 Posts
crap, when i saw this i was "it's december, what the hell, that can't be right"...... I'm so sorry for everyone there. my portion of California just got done burning with one of the largest wildfires I've ever seen. the loss is real, hopefully folks can find a place to stay until the rebuilding can begin.

·
Registered
702 Posts
crap, when i saw this i was "it's december, what the hell, that can't be right"...... I'm so sorry for everyone there. my portion of California just got done burning with one of the largest wildfires I've ever seen. the loss is real, hopefully folks can find a place to stay until the rebuilding can begin.
Some of the worst fire season times in CO are right before the first snow. Tinder dry and dead vegetation, water sources frozen, fire lines winterized, fire apparatus put away and winterized, and hi and dry winds. What an awful situation for those (and all) folks that have lost everything do to disasters.

·
Registered
42 Posts
This year is going out with a bang. Fires yesterday burned an estimated 1,000 homes near Boulder (about 15 miles from my home) and today we are supposed to get some pretty good snow. We have had an extremely dry year with 1-1/2" of moisture since mid June. 100+ mph winds dropped power lines and started the fires. There was absolutely nothing the first responders could do until the winds died down around 7:00 last night. It was like nothing I've ever seen. An absolute nightmare. Supposed to have a high of 16 degrees with snow continuing tomorrow and lows in the low single digits the next couple of nights.
this does not look natural in any way:

·
Registered
158 Posts
Some of the worst fire season times in CO are right before the first snow. Tinder dry and dead vegetation, water sources frozen, fire lines winterized, fire apparatus put away and winterized, and hi and dry winds. What an awful situation for those (and all) folks that have lost everything do to disasters.
wow, didn't even think about the winterizing..... around here our neighbors keep their water trucks full at all times, but we don't see the same temps as you do.....that sucks.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Kawasaki KRX
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
990+ homes destroyed by the fire. It was around 6,000 acres, which doesn't sound like much compared to the 200,000+ acres fires last year. However, 6,000 acres in an urban area is huge. The devastation is incredible. Now we have several inch's of snow and below zero over night temperatures. Truly hell on earth for so many folks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts