Kawasaki KRX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A started engine is a terrible thing to waste.......good on yah for going for a short rip.
Or multiple trips. We decided to range test the GMRS car to car radios in some pretty hilly terrain. Since both rigs were already dirty. The shop is going to be a mess even though they are drying in the sun. The radio test results made us very happy. Miles away, a signal like the other car was 50' behind you and and completely out of a line of sight. :)

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can you share what the green piece is above your half windshield?
Just a piece of 16 gauge sheet metal put there as a sun visor. My wife and I were bugged by the sun's glare and the distraction of it trying to look in the rear view with the sun at low angles. Riding into a low sun at this altitude is brutal. Zero cost other than time and the stupidly expensive matching paint. Both sides bead blasted and interior side flat black. I might make a version 1" bigger (taller) for different times of the year as it takes about 2 minutes to swap out with an impact driver. Works really well for us.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Or multiple trips. We decided to range test the GMRS car to car radios in some pretty hilly terrain. Since both rigs were already dirty. The shop is going to be a mess even though they are drying in the sun. The radio test results made us very happy. Miles away, a signal like the other car was 50' behind you and and completely out of a line of sight. :)
View attachment 2256
How many watts are your radios?

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How many watts are your radios?
We are running Rugged GMR 25 radios. I went with Rugged (rebranded and type 95 certified TYT 8600) because of the intercom interface ( we've lost enough hearing) and the ip67 waterproof rating. A lot of time was spent on getting the antennas as efficient as possible. A watt meter says 22 out for the KRX and 23 for the Honda Pioneer. Interesting because these radios are supposedly 20 watts out max on UHF. Signal propagation was surprisingly good as we purposely tested from low spots and had hills between vehicles. I run 2 meter VHF amature rigs (up to 75 watts) in both machines also, and the UHF GMRS (which the whole family can use legally) more than hangs with the VHF for our purposes. Definitely going to do some more distance testing this week time and weather permitting.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts