Kawasaki KRX Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to do some research on how good or not good is the factory cage? I have spoken with a few people that say the factory cage should be replaced. I want to see if this is true. Has anyone had their cage fail or proof it’s not as safe as an aftermarket one? I searched as I figured this topic has been covered but didn’t populate anything.

·
Registered
2021 KRX 1000 blue tons of options
659 Posts
Trying to do some research on how good or not good is the factory cage? I have spoken with a few people that say the factory cage should be replaced. I want to see if this is true. Has anyone had their cage fail or proof it’s not as safe as an aftermarket one? I searched as I figured this topic has been covered but didn’t populate anything.
Most factory rops will keep you alive in a rollover but will definitely bend. Cartwheels down a hill probably aren’t going to go well. Unless you are constantly doing crazy steep or off camber stuff with high potential to roll over, it shouldn’t be too much of a concern. It’s not a cage in the sense of it being like a full on race unit. It’s simply roll over protection. No factory rops will be as strong as a true purpose built roll cage.

·
Registered
239 Posts
i was wondering this myself; from what i've read Kawasaki has the best factory cage of all the manufacturers.
that being said, the cage on the KRX seems to be a pretty good compromise between form and function. there is some triangulation in there, but in every aftermarket cage i've seen, there's added triangulation in the front and rear "windshield" areas.

·
Registered
2021 KRX 1000
42 Posts
My vote is no. I am lucky to be typing this as I had a high speed rollover that resulted in the passenger side of the cage crushing down into the passenger seat that would have been fatal if I had a passenger with me. The thickness of the tube is closer to exhaust tube as opposed to a true roll cage.

There are not many aftermarket cage offerings for our machines, and they are crazy expensive, but better than dying imho.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Factory cages are as thin as a fence post and total garbage. Honestly I don't see how the get away with such trash. I put a dent in mine just hitting it with a ratchet handle loosening a bolt. I would highly recommend getting aftermarket no matter what kind of riding you do... There is always a chance for a fluke accident. That will be in the very near future for me.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I subscribe to this guy’s channel. Granted this is slow speed and right on the top but it takes the full weight of the vehicle. The issues on factory rops are when you hit them with a lot of side force or on a corner. Ideally I’d like to have an actual roll cage and if I ever screw up my factory stuff I’ll get one.

·
Registered
659 Posts
What did that guy think was going to happen? Yeah, I’ll just roll my 20k machine so I can post it on YouTube. 🤨
I think he was just trying to get it to climb and look almost vertical. Lol. I think that’s right after he got it. He’s made a lot of content since then about accessories and riding. Seems like a good dude, we’ve chatted in the youtube comments a few times.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I subscribe to this guy’s channel. Granted this is slow speed and right on the top but it takes the full weight of the vehicle. The issues on factory rops are when you hit them with a lot of side force or on a corner. Ideally I’d like to have an actual roll cage and if I ever screw up my factory stuff I’ll get one.
A slow roll is one thing... a couple rolls down a hill? I'll pass on

·
Registered
30 Posts
A slow roll is one thing... a couple rolls down a hill? I'll pass on
Are you in danger of rolling numerous times down a hill (serious question)?

I just don't encounter that on the trails I ride often nor am I doing a lot of high speed cornering. Totally understand accidents happen and everyone has different uses though.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I’m only basing this off maybe 3000 miles in 5 years of UTV riding which isn’t a ton. I’ve done all my riding in OH, PA, WV, KY, VA, and TN but I’ve been around probably 10 rollovers and only seen bending not breaking in stock roll over protection. Granted I’ve never seen someone cartwheel over and over, 2 rolls is the most I’ve seen and it kept them without major injury. If you are a routine steep hill climber or someone who rides a lot of double black trails, I’d for sure suggest buying a real roll cage because as supertramp said, they are thin.

·
Registered
2021 KRX 1000
42 Posts
I was doing about 40 on a gravel road in a cloud of dust and by the time I realized there was a turn, or there was a mechanical failure (dont know as I was knocked unconscious and don't remember the actual accident) I was along for the ride.

Did 3 days at HMT last weekend, and did a lot of reading about two fatal accidents that occurred the prior weekend. One was a high speed multi-roll off the edge all the way down to another trail below. Both the driver and passenger were sadly killed as allegedly they were not wearing helmets or seat belts (according to a local I chatted with over dinner.) The machine did not look that bad, but doing a little research, the Polaris XP pro actually has more of a roll cage that ROPS. The two main hoops and B pillars are single tube, welded steel, not multiple pieces bolted together. While I do not know the tube thickness, that cage seemed to hold up to mutliple high speed rolls from one trail all the way down to another. (see red XP Pro Pic)

Sadly, there was another fatal accident that weekend. While I definitely do not know all of the details, a member of the group that lost someone said something to the effect it was a rollover due to a flat. That machine didn't seem to leave the trail, but the factory ROPS collapsed (see blue & white machine)

I do not claim to be an expert, about these machines, or any of the accidents that I mentioned above. I do know that I will NEVER go riding in a machine without a real roll cage, real harnesses and a helmet. I just share my thoughts to hopefully prevent something bad from happening to others. My thoughts and prayers go out to those that lost a loved one.

Stay safe my friends

·
Registered
569 Posts
From what I've heard you got some bad info there. Both people in the Pro XP survived. Passenger wasn't hurt too badly, driver is rough shape. Rolled off the side of 97 trying to get around/over the ledge.

The YXZ was a high speed crash with occupants ejected. Passenger died on scene, driver is recovering.

In either case a better cage wouldn't have helped.

·
Registered
287 Posts
From what I've heard you got some bad info there. Both people in the Pro XP survived. Passenger wasn't hurt too badly, driver is rough shape. Rolled off the side of 97 trying to get around/over the ledge.

The YXZ was a high speed crash with occupants ejected. Passenger died on scene, driver is recovering.

In either case a better cage wouldn't have helped.
Well these stories make me want to use my seatbelt

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I already purchased helmets and the Kawasaki 6 point harness. Just trying to decide on a cage as they are not cheap. I do understand that cages are safety and no money can replace a life but the KRX does have a cage and want to justify buying a new cage.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I already purchased helmets and the Kawasaki 6 point harness. Just trying to decide on a cage as they are not cheap. I do understand that cages are safety and no money can replace a life but the KRX does have a cage and want to justify buying a new cage.
My personal opinion: 99% of the time you will be fine with factory roll over protection, a seat belt/harnesses and a helmet. That 1% you generally know is risky before you do it and only your right foot can change that.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.