Kawasaki KRX Forum banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 KRX
1,025 Posts
Sooo what’s next? You can only buy from dealers in your area? It’s bullshit! I don’t buy extended warranties. So it’s no skin off my back either way. But the reality is if they make this warranty change mid stream... what makes you think that they will continue to “take care of their customers”? I don’t consider doubling the price of a warranty and limiting who and where you can purchase that warranty as taking care of its customers.
Again. I’m going to circle back to what I said. You don’t have to buy s$&t from anyone. If you don’t like your “local” deal, shop around. If you buy the buggy and the warranty 100 miles away, you can still take it to the local dealership for repairs. It will force dealerships to be more competitive.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Again. I’m going to circle back to what I said. You don’t have to buy s$&t from anyone. If you don’t like your “local” deal, shop around. If you buy the buggy and the warranty 100 miles away, you can still take it to the local dealership for repairs. It will force dealerships to be more competitive.
You HAVE to buy the warranty form the dealership you purchased the machine. So when you shop around and buy a machine out of state because it saves you 3, 4, 5000 dollars and then want to buy a warranty from my local shop where a person is going to take their machine for repairs... now you can’t do that. So what do you think that local shop is going to do now that you haven’t given them any business but are taking your machine there? Probably won’t be on the top of the list when it’s time for quick repairs. This is ALL after doubling the price of that warranty. There are a shit load of people out there that were told and promised they could buy a warranty within 6 months of purchase and many were going to do so. Now they can’t buy it where they want and it’s doubled in price all with no warning. So yeah.. it’s not exactly confidence building when it comes to Kawi putting the customer first. I’ve literally sold dozens of these machines for Kawi and told everyone how great they have been at fixing their issues and taking care of their customers. This move just doesn’t support that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So is this effective now? I spoke to Jared last Friday to get a price from him before going to my local dealer on Saturday to buy my new machine. As expected, Jared quoted me $830 and the local dealer quoted $1500. Jared assured me I could buy from him and make warranty claims at local dealer, and local dealer when I informed them I was getting a warranty for 1/2 their quoted price basically just said that was a great deal and to lock it down. They mentioned nothing about not honoring it at their shop.

·
Premium Member
2020 KRX
1,025 Posts
You HAVE to buy the warranty form the dealership you purchased the machine. So when you shop around and buy a machine out of state because it saves you 3, 4, 5000 dollars and then want to buy a warranty from my local shop where a person is going to take their machine for repairs... now you can’t do that.
You can buy the machine AND the warranty from any dealer you want. If you buy the machine AND the warranty 300 miles away and saved yourself a couple of grand, you can still take it to your local dealership for repairs. Dealerships get paid by Kawasaki for warranty work anyway.

No one is buying their car in one place, then buying the warranty from the local dealer. If the local dealership had good prices on both the machine AND the warranty, you’d buy there in the first place. Most people were buying their machine 200 miles away, and then the warranty 1500 miles away, then taking it to the local dealership for repairs anyway. So the “local” guy got nothing.

Now with the new setup, it will force dealerships to be more competitive with pricing packages.

·
Registered
2020 Green KRX
861 Posts
Damn. My factory warranty doesn’t expire until mid-July. I was putting off the expense of the extended warranty from Big Pine until July 1.

I guess I’ll take the chance on no warranty. I’m not paying $1575 from my dealer in Hickory, NC.
Warranty is a royal pain in the ass. Dealers seeking profits in customer pay than warranty. At least my experience here. I’m battling a clutch issue right now.

·
Registered
2020 Green KRX
861 Posts
Ok, I agree and disagree. The bottom line is, you don’t have to buy s&$t! But… Given what people put these machines through, is it really that far of a stretch to pay $1000 to $1500 for 3 years of worry free repairs? Sure $800 bucks is better, but you’re undercutting the dealership (in the demographic area) that you bought the buggy from.
I paid a $1000 bucks for mine, and I’d gladly do it again. We all know Kawasaki stands behind their customers and takes care of us! Why not protect the dealerships as well?
If you don’t like it, go buy a Polaris.
Because some dealers (like mine) like to overcharge you and absolutely extort every dollar out of the customer.

·
Registered
2020 Green KRX
861 Posts
I think there’s a misconception of what warranty you’re buying. There are 3 types of warranties. Kawasaki- any dealer can take it. In house warranty- only that dealer can take it. And after market- hit and miss on this one. The most sold is obviously the factory. If an authorized Kawasaki dealer declines you. They’re opening up a can of worms for legal issues.

·
Premium Member
2020 KRX
1,025 Posts
Because some dealers (like mine) like to overcharge you and absolutely extort every dollar out of the customer.
If it’s a warranty covered repair and they try to charge you extra, report them to Kawasaki immediately.
I think there’s a misconception of what warranty you’re buying. There are 3 types of warranties. Kawasaki- any dealer can take it. In house warranty- only that dealer can take it. And after market- hit and miss on this one. The most sold is obviously the factory. If an authorized Kawasaki dealer declines you. They’re opening up a can of worms for legal issues.
I don’t know if there’s a misconception or not. There’s aftermarket (in-house or otherwise) and factory. The factory is zero out of pocket for whatever length of time you purchased. The Kawasaki comes in 1 to 3 years of coverage.

·
Registered
476 Posts
You can buy the machine AND the warranty from any dealer you want. If you buy the machine AND the warranty 300 miles away and saved yourself a couple of grand, you can still take it to your local dealership for repairs. Dealerships get paid by Kawasaki for warranty work anyway.

No one is buying their car in one place, then buying the warranty from the local dealer. If the local dealership had good prices on both the machine AND the warranty, you’d buy there in the first place. Most people were buying their machine 200 miles away, and then the warranty 1500 miles away, then taking it to the local dealership for repairs anyway. So the “local” guy got nothing.

Now with the new setup, it will force dealerships to be more competitive with pricing packages.
Man.. you must have bumped your head. In NOOO way does limiting a consumers ability to buy promote a more competitive market place. That’s just not how economics works.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Warranty is a royal pain in the ass. Dealers seeking profits in customer pay than warranty. At least my experience here. I’m battling a clutch issue right now.
Yes.. if you have a good local dealer that will go to bat for you then a warranty can be worth while. But USUALLY they try to duck out of any fixes because of “abuse” or “mods” etc...

·
Registered
476 Posts
So is this effective now? I spoke to Jared last Friday to get a price from him before going to my local dealer on Saturday to buy my new machine. As expected, Jared quoted me $830 and the local dealer quoted $1500. Jared assured me I could buy from him and make warranty claims at local dealer, and local dealer when I informed them I was getting a warranty for 1/2 their quoted price basically just said that was a great deal and to lock it down. They mentioned nothing about not honoring it at their shop.
This all just happened.. there was no warning.

·
Registered
482 Posts
If Kawasaki wanted to treat its customers equitably they would tie the mandatory warranty from the selling dealer to all future sales, not past sales that are in the warranty decision making period.. Considering the fact I was told I had six months to shop a warranty from anywhere (I'm covered anyway) by my selling dealer, I consider that part of the sales contract as an option that has a six month expiration date . I put Kawasaki Corporate in the complete scumbag chicken $hit category for this gotcha move. A lot of folks who were acting in good faith on this got a big dose of bad faith. At the minimum, it is dishonering a verbal contract from my perspective.

·
Registered
2020 Green KRX
861 Posts
If Kawasaki wanted to treat its customers equitably they would tie the mandatory warranty from the selling dealer to all future sales, not past sales that are in the warranty decision making period.. Considering the fact I was told I had six months to shop a warranty from anywhere (I'm covered anyway) by my selling dealer, I consider that part of the sales contract as an option that has a six month expiration date . I put Kawasaki Corporate in the complete scumbag chicken $hit category for this gotcha move. A lot of folks who were acting in good faith on this got a big dose of bad faith. At the minimum, it is dishonering a verbal contract from my perspective.
Man.. you must have bumped your head. In NOOO way does limiting a consumers ability to buy promote a more competitive market place. That’s just not how economics works.

Well since the can of worms has been opened, let’s talk about the factory warranty. 6 months? Really?

·
Premium Member
2020 KRX
1,025 Posts
I think you’re only seeing it from one angle.

For the sake of this moment in time. I agree that it’s a bad move on Kawasaki’s part to “slam” the door shut on existing customers that are still within their 6 month warranty period, and were told they can purchase anywhere. They (Kawasaki) should allow those people to do so.

Now, going forward. This new rule changes nothing as far as YOU, the consumer, and your right to free commerce.
Example…..
You have 3 dealers all within 30 miles of each other. You happen to live close to “Dealer A”.

Dealer A- His offer is 20k for the KRX plus $1500 for a 3 year warranty.
Dealer B- His offer is 18k for the KRX plus $1200 for a 3 year warranty.
Dealer C- His offer is 19k and includes the 3 year warranty.

Now the choice is yours, (Free commerce) and you choose Dealer C because it’s the best deal. Now you can still take it to dealer A (because you live next door to it) for service and repairs.

And here’s where economics comes into play.
When Dealer A sees he’s loosing business to other dealers because he’s priced too high, then he’ll have to be more >competitive< to stay in business.

It’s no different then buying a Toyota at one dealership because they had the best price, and having service at another because it’s closer to you.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Now, going forward. This new rule changes nothing as far as YOU, the consumer, and your right to free commerce.
The market always finds a way. Now it will be "I will buy from you if you will sell the warranty at Big Pine's price." It may not turn out like the warranty stabbers hoped it would.

·
Premium Member
2020 KRX
1,025 Posts
The market always finds a way. Now it will be "I will buy from you if you will sell the warranty at Big Pine's price." It may not turn out like the warranty stabbers hoped it would.
Correct. That’s where negotiating comes into play. If you don’t like the deal, walk. There’s always another dealer that will do better.

Personally, I think BigPine did a disservice to the extended warranty price by selling it at cost to customers he knew he’d never see. I’ve never bought an extended warranty from a different place then I purchased the unit from. That’s again, where negotiations come into play.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Personally, I think BigPine did a disservice to the extended warranty price by selling it at cost to customers he knew he’d never see. I’ve never bought an extended warranty from a different place then I purchased the unit from. That’s again, where negotiations come into play.
Agreed...but capitalism be what it is. Extended warrantee is a thing I never do.....but whan the sales guy told me I could indeed shop it down perhaps $150ish, and was forthright about my regular dealer honoring it (he used to work for my regular dealer and my purchasing dealer isn't too far from Moab, he even hinted at BP as a source) I did it because he was truthful and you have make a profit,to stay in business. I told him to enjoy spending his warrantee spiff.

·
Registered
476 Posts
This is exactly the way it should have been handled.. then no one has a bitch. But the way it stands... what’s to keep any manufacturer from limiting its consumers to only purchasing parts or anything machine related to the dealer you purchased from. It sets a precedent that I’m not a fan of.

·
Premium Member
2020 KRX
1,025 Posts

Agreed...but capitalism be what it is. Extended warrantee is a thing I never do.....but whan the sales guy told me I could indeed shop it down perhaps $150ish, and was forthright about my regular dealer honoring it (he used to work for my regular dealer and my purchasing dealer isn't too far from Moab, he even hinted at BP as a source) I did it because he was truthful and you have make a profit,to stay in business. I told him to enjoy spending his warrantee spiff.
If I was in the 6 month window, I’d be on the horn with Kawasaki. I think if enough people bitch, they would do something for those people.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I think you’re only seeing it from one angle.

For the sake of this moment in time. I agree that it’s a bad move on Kawasaki’s part to “slam” the door shut on existing customers that are still within their 6 month warranty period, and were told they can purchase anywhere. They (Kawasaki) should allow those people to do so.

Example…..
You have 3 dealers all within 30 miles of each other. You happen to live close to “Dealer A”.

Dealer A- His offer is 20k for the KRX plus $1500 for a 3 year warranty.
Dealer B- His offer is 18k for the KRX plus $1200 for a 3 year warranty.
Dealer C- His offer is 19k and includes the 3 year warranty.

Now the choice is yours, (Free commerce) and you choose Dealer C because it’s the best deal. Now you can still take it to dealer A (because you live next door to it) for service and repairs.

And here’s where economics comes into play.
When Dealer A sees he’s loosing business to other dealers because he’s priced too high, then he’ll have to be more >competitive< to stay in business.

It’s no different then buying a Toyota at one dealership because they had the best price, and having service at another because it’s closer to you.
See that’s where you’re wrong... everything about what you just said was already a thing. They were just separate. The competitive nature of business had a dealer selling for his cost and others didn’t like that. Same as if a dealer sells machines at cost. The only people that suffer from these interventions by corporate are the consumer and the dealers giving the best deals. It’s just bullshit...

21 - 40 of 57 Posts