Kawasaki KRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Las Vegas, NV
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a nice 16x7x7 enclosed trailer that I painted to match my motorhome. All my toys have always fit until I got the KRX. It will fit in, but me, getting out of it, is quite the feat. The trailer tows great behind my motorhome and my Ram 1500. I don't want buy a bigger trailer.

So, I thought of an idea to make the driver door to be removable, that way I just step out, no door in the way. I figured out a way to make some short pins to replace the hinge pins. They are 8mm hinge pins, but I was able to make 5/16'' bolts work. I had to reuse the little nylon bushings to make it work. Some plastic has to be trimmed, but that is not visible when the door is shut. I drilled the top pin for a small safety clip.

Btw, I also have to remove the roof to drive in. lol

·
Registered
2021 KRX Blue
899 Posts
Great idea! I’m in the same boat except my enclosed is 80” tall and mine fits fine on 35’s. But it’s only 7’ wide so I’m climbing out like the Duke boys in General Lee. Thanks for sharing, I’ll look into this more.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I have removable doors on my drag car similar to that. I built a bracket with the same Hinge pins and latch on the wall of the trailer so I could slide the Hinge in and latch like stock to the wall of the trailer. Kept the door from getting damaged and up out of the way.

·
Registered
Las Vegas, NV
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Holy crap! I thought you were going to cut a door in the side of your trailer. You removed the buggy door!

That was considered, but I load it in different locations depending on what else I have loaded in the trailer to keep my tongue weight in check.

It only took me a couple of hours to do. Spent more time disassembling and reassembling the door panels. Everything is reversible back to the factory.

Very easy now to get in and out.

Reactions: Paul65

·
Registered
485 Posts
That was considered, but I load it in different locations depending on what else I have loaded in the trailer to keep my tongue weight in check.

It only took me a couple of hours to do. Spent more time disassembling and reassembling the door panels. Everything is reversible back to the factory.

I bet others need of your solution. Nice design and proto type!!!!!

You are right about balancing the trailer!!!!! None of my tie down track is in the right place.

·
Registered
Las Vegas, NV
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
leave PARKING BRAKE OFF, use winch and tie it down
That's another option.

And that reminds me, I need to make a winch point inside my trailer. Never know when you might need that.

·
Registered
485 Posts

·
Registered
Blue 2021 KRX
35 Posts
So how much extra leigh do you have when your loaded up? Would a 20' box with a 2 1/2 v nose work ? If you was to get a different trailer, would you get something longer? Just starting to look for trailer.

·
Registered
485 Posts
If you want to fit 2 full size units I would think 24' would be okay, maybe someone would like to jump in, I wanted extra space to haul 4 sleds. #1 reqiuerment, easy to get in and out of the machine in the trailer. I haul my buddies 2006 rhino with my machine with no problem. He calls it "Little Tonka" next to "Big Tonka"....fact of the matter he goes every where I do.
No, I would not want a bigger trailer. I still get into a smaller c store lots.

·
Registered
26 Posts

Do you remember the dia. of the hinge bolts?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts