Kawasaki KRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this from SidebySideStuff dot com and they drop shipped from EMP. Watching EMP's vid for this hitch they tout laser cut steel, cnc press brake formed and powder coated. We have all the aforementioned at the manufacturing plant I work at and I know sometimes parts are made like it's Friday at five. Shit happens.

The first receiver I was shipped had missed spots in powder coating, which looks more like crap rattle can to me. It had rust spots straight out of the package. They took care of return shipping and shipping another. Kudos to them.

Replacement came and the center support plate was a bit cockeyed and it somehow lead to the robot weld going astray. Not sure how the hell that happens, but shit happens.

Okay, so since they have such high tech machinery at their disposal and they tout the fact in their vids, am I asking too much to own something I paid for without any flaws? Not looking for perfection. Even the weld spatter that normally graces powder coated products isn't always chipped away or sandblasted and I'd be cool with that, which was also present.

Anyway, they denied sending a 3rd and are having me send back on their dime for a full refund from SXSstuff.com. I mean, I'm cool with getting my money back but I really wanted this product. I like the height of the receiver tube. I dunno. I was also thinking of their light bar brackets but only last night found a bunch of broken ones here on this forum alone. Maybe EMP is not the shiznit I assumed they might have been?

Just ranting, I guess.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I believe they still make it in-house, especially with seeing the robot welds. But sometimes crap happens. But yeah, rushed, nevertheless. And I wound up with 2 flawed units. No, my KRX won't be a garage queen, but I expect to get what is advertised. This just feels like watching an old Big Mac commercial and getting something thin and flaccid. That's what she said.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I’m not sure I would have sent the second one back but, looking at the pictures of the first. The powder coat is one thing but, it appears to not be welded all the way around the receiver. I’d have to hook up to my trailer and pull it out to check mine but, I believe it was welded all the way around.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I’m not sure I would have sent the second one back but, looking at the pictures of the first. The powder coat is one thing but, it appears to not be welded all the way around the receiver. I’d have to hook up to my trailer and pull it out to check mine but, I believe it was welded all the way around.
I don't believe they place a bead there as it's welded at other critical points. Although, to angle cut that piece of square tubing and then weld it would be better. I'm sure my second one would be sound for what I'd put it through but still. If it were some Chinaman welding at an angle away from the joint, I'd deal with it. They tout robot welded, and they are, just check their video. Hence I expect a better weld and that's right at the furthest point out. Sure I could just hit it with my own mig or even leave it, but I expect the welds to be perfect. That plate that didn't get wrap around welded is offset like it was flopping in the jig or something.
Being it's made in America with high quality machinery, I don't expect to have to "fix" the parts like I do when I save money on Harbor Freight parts that I make better than new.
ETA: I'd have been better off keeping the first one and rattle canning it. Again, just send a quality product that I can review and in turn, sell more of them for ya...

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I won't lie, I still want a good unit. I don't want to alter a flawed one. But who do I buy from next as these all seem to be drop shipped? Alas, they only stood by their product once and then must consider me overly analytical or something. I get their losing money on shipping. So up your QC and package proper parts. This ain't Kemimoto... though their harness attachments are nice for our KRX's.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Krx Receiver Hitch is a nice one but they always seem to be sold out.
Crap! Who originally designed this? Trex looks like EMP looks like AJK... not in any particular order...

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Welp, was on one of the KRX fuckbook pages and someone brought up the Marked Motorsports hitch so I just pulled the trigger on this one. Dunno who makes it for them but hopefully it arrives looking good and will function even better.

I called EMP directly TWICE and gave them the story of how I got 2 bad ones in a row and that sometimes shit happens but looks like they simply don't want my business so guess what, fuck them. Sorry if there are any EMP lovers out there. They suck in my book.

·
Registered
2021 KRX Blue
729 Posts
I had a bad experience with them before, about two years ago.

Reactions: Bizill

·
Registered
2020 KRX
300 Posts
Let us know how the Full Access one looks when you get it. Seems like they do decent stuff for the most part.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Green KRX
1,550 Posts
I got the EMP light bar brackets and they came scratched up out of the box. Didn’t bug me enough to send it back as I know trees and terrain are gonna scuff them up any way. The only issue I had was the rubber mounting system they created. After a few months the rubber gave out and the light bar fell almost breaking my front glass. I researched and @BigParm shared a great idea to install riv nuts with a special tool along with bolts and lock washers. No issues since then and it is mounted solid.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thing is, the EMP was to be my very first upgrade to my e$. 2 months later I still don't have a receiver hitch. I will soon thanks to Jake's offering on FullAccess. I'll be shopping there more often, after all his video comparison to Polaris's offerings is what made me want a KRX in the first place so glad I can finally send some money his way. Sorry EMP, you think your shit don't stink but man, it smells foul.

Had they cared more about QC then I possibly would have ended up with their roof and windshield. Instead I have the Tusk fold down glass windshield and Tusk glass rear and the MotoArmor aluminum roof with sunroof insert. Diggin' the combo and so did the folks on last weekend's group ride. Nobody cared about my buddy's Turbo S. Everyone wanted to check out the new KRX.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Crap! Who originally designed this? Trex looks like EMP looks like AJK... not in any particular order...

Blatant copying is standard operating procedure for most the aftermarket industry. Take the shift gates for example. Everyone out there copied EXE. Some even did it better then them but it's a copy of another's design. It's a shit design, but it's theirs. Thats why when I bought an H pattern shift gate it came from them.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Green KRX
1,550 Posts
Blatant copying is standard operating procedure for most the aftermarket industry. Take the shift gates for example. Everyone out there copied EXE. Some even did it better then them but it's a copy of another's design. It's a shit design, but it's theirs. Thats why when I bought an H pattern shift gate it came from them.
The power of a patent

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
what seat belts are u running
ProArmor 3" 5 point harnesses. I made a bracket for the 5th point. Had 2" ProArmors on my RZR but since these factory seats allow us to jiggle around more than the RZR stock seats I figured I'd try the 3" and they hold us nicely. We're the type who want to be locked into and one with the machine. That means even the click 6 allow for too much movement. Most disagree but that's our style.

Edited to add: Dragonfire mounts for the ProArmor harnesses.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Agreed. Last night since I had the center tunnel apart I went ahead and milled down the reverse gate on the factory shifter. I think I don't need aftermarket now. I partially milled down the high gate but should have left it alone for those tight 3 point turns. But I think it'll be near perfect now.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts