Kawasaki KRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Based on discussions in this forum, I rotated tires at 638 miles and pulled the belt cover yesterday. I assumed the references to dust inside the cover was road dust, but found none in there. What was in there was what I assume to be belt dust (charcoal coloring). There was very little in there, I blew it out, and wiped down the metal surfaces just because, but there wasn't much there. Just curious to hear what others have found.

On an even more positive note, no sheeve wear whatsoever, not even light scuffing, and the weights look great from what I could see without removing them. Guess this is a reflection of my conservative Northern Utah and Northern Atizona riding? 13.3 average mph.

·
Registered
2021 Trail Edition, RCOR weights, Shock Therapy, CageWRX cage, 31"x10.50-15LT General Grabber X3's
269 Posts
Yea what he said^ A LOT of belt dust is hiding in your primary clutch.

You have to really get the blower nozzle down in there and rotate the assembly and get it from all 4 weight areas.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I guess its not very dusty where u ride, every 500 miles I do a service on my KRX and also blow out the dust in the belt housing n pulleys n there is always a crap load of dust on pulleys/clutch. When l wipe the sheeves down its with alcohol will not leave a film on sheeves also l use white paper towels to wipe them down with n to dry. As for the weights u would have to pull them to see the wear.

·
Registered
47 Posts
It's pretty dusty here in Arizona, I remove the screws and remove the cover and use a garden hose to clean the clutch's and belt regularly. I try to keep it as clean as possible to keep wear to a minimum and operating right..

·
Premium Member
2020 KRX
1,357 Posts
It's pretty dusty here in Arizona, I remove the screws and remove the cover and use a garden hose to clean the clutch's and belt regularly. I try to keep it as clean as possible to keep wear to a minimum and operating right..
Pat, I highly recommend you stop washing out the clutches with a garden hose. All that needs to be done is to blow out the clutches with an air compressor, then clean the sheaves with shop towels and brake cleaner.

·
Registered
2021 KRX Blue
899 Posts
With water? Surely not. The only thing worse would be… wait that is the worst thing.

Reactions: BobX2

·
Registered
47 Posts
With water? Surely not. The only thing worse would be… wait that is the worst thing.
Pat, I highly recommend you stop washing out the clutches with a garden hose. All that needs to be done is to blow out the clutches with an air compressor, then clean the sheaves with shop towels and brake cleaner.
I have been cleaning the clutches and belt on my RZR's for a long time with a hose, then blow drying it with my air blower, I have seen some people driving in very muddy trails and getting mud/muddy water in the housing and not having any problems, is there something I don't know about that is harming the clutches? I thought the dust/dirt was what wearing out the weights and causing the groves in the thing bob where the belt is.

·
Registered
2021 Trail Edition, RCOR weights, Shock Therapy, CageWRX cage, 31"x10.50-15LT General Grabber X3's
269 Posts
I have been cleaning the clutches and belt on my RZR's for a long time with a hose, then blow drying it with my air blower, I have seen some people driving in very muddy trails and getting mud/muddy water in the housing and not having any problems, is there something I don't know about that is harming the clutches? I thought the dust/dirt was what wearing out the weights and causing the groves in the thing bob where the belt is.
No, the grooving is caused by two things. The factory belt is widely regarded as quite stiff and harder material than most, and the clutch weights are garbage(Factory Clutch Weights are Garbage!). The weights get a groove worn into them, which makes the machine stick at certain rpm/speeds, which in turn causes the belt to ride in one position on the primary clutch sheeves for too long, which causes a groove in that spot.

·
Premium Member
2020 KRX
1,357 Posts
The clutches are not designed to be exposed to water. (That’s why they are covered) Accidental exposure is one thing, but washing them down with water will only exacerbate corrosion.

·
Registered
2021 KRX Blue
899 Posts
I would think that fine black dust we blow out would stick in crevices after getting wet. But it’s interesting to hear other’s methods! That reminds me… A few years ago there was a heated discussion about spraying WD-40 on disc brakes.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I would think that fine black dust we blow out would stick in crevices after getting wet. But it’s interesting to hear other’s methods! That reminds me… A few years ago there was a heated discussion about spraying WD-40 on disc brakes.
WD-40, for when you don't want to hear your brakes squealing before the crash.

·
Registered
239 Posts
This post brings one question to my mind: I've never felt the need to tear apart the belt housing on any sort of regular basis to "blow out the dust"....i suppose if you operate in an extemely dusty environment then sure, but for the most of the riding i do i think the engineers accounted for some dust buildup. i do clean my machine after a dusty ride with a leaf blower as it doesn't have enough directed high pressure to force dirt into places you don't want it to, and i wash it if i'm out in the mud but right afterwards i run it up to operating temp and drive around slowly to dry everything off.

·
Registered
2021 KRX 1000, 2016 Wildcat Sport, 2018 Ram 3500 and 2016 XLR305V12 toy hauler
69 Posts
This post brings one question to my mind: I've never felt the need to tear apart the belt housing on any sort of regular basis to "blow out the dust"....i suppose if you operate in an extemely dusty environment then sure, but for the most of the riding i do i think the engineers accounted for some dust buildup. i do clean my machine after a dusty ride with a leaf blower as it doesn't have enough directed high pressure to force dirt into places you don't want it to, and i wash it if i'm out in the mud but right afterwards i run it up to operating temp and drive around slowly to dry everything off.
The dust is not from "outside" environment. It is from the belt and components inside the clutch/belt housing. Clutch/belt inspection is listed as periodic/normal maintenance inspection in the repair manual.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.