Kawasaki KRX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Green KRX
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally reached the limits of the amount of power it can pull. My headlights started flickering. Anyone have any experience running dual batteries? Plenty of space behind the center piece on the dash. Saw this kit also, intended for can am but should work with our machines.

·
Registered
68 Posts
What all accessories are you running.
I have a winch, swamp donkey stereo, and my whips and roof light bar come in this week. Is this going to be to much for the machine?

·
Registered
2020 Green KRX
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What all accessories are you running.
I have a winch, swamp donkey stereo, and my whips and roof light bar come in this week. Is this going to be to much for the machine?
Yes sir, I’m running the same as you but without a winch. And an amp and subs. The light bar was the one that tipped it over the edge. Everything functions perfectly with it off. Intermittent use is ok but I’m not happy with that. I figure dual batteries is a lot cheaper than a $600 alternator plus labor and most importantly concerned about it getting wet or under water while on the trail.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yes sir, I’m running the same as you but without a winch. And an amp and subs. The light bar was the one that tipped it over the edge. Everything functions perfectly with it off. Intermittent use is ok but I’m not happy with that. I figure dual batteries is a lot cheaper than a $600 alternator plus labor and most importantly concerned about it getting wet or under water while on the trail.
Makes a lot of sense... way too much money. Why Kawasaki put such a low voltage system in is beyond belief.

·
Registered
68 Posts
So, I could see some how a box being fabricated to house a battery in the dash near the bus bar I just lack the tools for that kinda fabrication. Any other ideas where to put one if not there

·
Registered
2020 Green KRX
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So, I could see some how a box being fabricated to house a battery in the dash near the bus bar I just lack the tools for that kinda fabrication. Any other ideas where to put one if not there
I think you can buy a “battery box” just finding a place to secure it would be tough. I’m sure there’s some metal down there somewhere it can bolt down too. Here’s a quick amazon search.

·
Registered
2020 Green KRX
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Makes a lot of sense... way too much money. Why Kawasaki put such a low voltage system in is beyond belief.
Yea really all it would have took is for the stator to push out more amperage. But just like everything on this machine it seems like it’s designed that way so you go and buy more accessories. The fender flare option set me over the edge, those should have come factory equipped.

·
Registered
2020 Green KRX
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I ran out and thought maybe there’s space under the seat for the other one. Sure enough there is. The battery is a 96R. Instead of setting it in there horizontally, I think 2 of them will fit in there vertically, granted a plate is made at the bottom to hold them. I’d probably switch to a sealed battery too to get rid of all the extra vent hoses. If they don’t fit then maybe downsize a battery with the same ratings.

·
Registered
68 Posts
That was gonna be my next question. Would a optima battery do better and prevent having to switch to a two battery system. I haven’t had time to look all this stuff up yet.

·
Registered
2020 Green KRX
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That was gonna be my next question. Would a optima battery do better and prevent having to switch to a two battery system. I haven’t had time to look all this stuff up yet.
It’s not so much the performance of the battery Output (Cranking amps) it’s the amount of power storage. Once the battery hits rock bottom is when stuff starts cutting out. Unless there’s a high capacity battery?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts