Kawasaki KRX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't heard of anybody complaining about the drive belt slipping, but mine started to slip last weekend. It happens while under stress and from a dead stop, power up to try to go crawl over an aggressive obstacle. Happened several times. If the machine is already moving at all it didn't slip. I have about 1500 milers on it. As luck would have it I had just ordered a new Bad Ass Belt from Right Coast Off-road for a spare. Guess I'll be changing it out when it gets here.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Have you inspected your clutch sheaves? There are many on the forum that have had their clutches replaced under warranty because the sheaves had grooves in them allowing the belt to slip. The new clutches even have an updated part number. Just thought I would let you know

·
Registered
5 Posts
I haven't heard of anybody complaining about the drive belt slipping, but mine started to slip last weekend. It happens while under stress and from a dead stop, power up to try to go crawl over an aggressive obstacle. Happened several times. If the machine is already moving at all it didn't slip. I have about 1500 milers on it. As luck would have it I had just ordered a new Bad Ass Belt from Right Coast Off-road for a spare. Guess I'll be changing it out when it gets here.
I have this same problem. I took it in and they replaced the belt, dressed the sheaves, and gave it a good cleaning. They said the primary was dirty and needed to disassembled and cleaned often. I had taken the clutch cover off the week prior to inspect the sheaves and blew it out then. Wasn't too bad. The next ride after getting the machine back the belt was slipping again.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Have you inspected your clutch sheaves? There are many on the forum that have had their clutches replaced under warranty because the sheaves had grooves in them allowing the belt to slip. The new clutches even have an updated part number. Just thought I would let you know
Do you know when this new clutch was introduced? Part number?
My KRX is a mid 2020 and I have no problems so far knock on wood.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Once a belt slips its done. Throw it in the trash.

Dont just throw on a new belt and go. Clean up the sheaves really good (Scotch brite pad and brake cleaner) before installing. Blow everthing out with high pressure air while your in there (should do frequently).

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just got off the phone with Kawasaki Customer service. She told me that because there have been problems with the clutches on the 2020 modals they will replace it at no charge.
I had the machine into the dealer to inspect the clutch several weeks ago when I first noticed the grooving and notchy shifting and was told it was normal wear and functioning normally. Obviously the tech didn't do much of a job inspecting it as I replaced the weights shortly after and they were worn quite badly, which is what was causing the shifting issue. The grooving in the sheaves I knew wasn't "normal wear" like I was told, after only 1400 miles. I told the dealers service rep that I wasn't going to argue the fact with him then, but that I would follow up with Kawasaki directly.
Anyway after it started sipping It reminded me to get it taken care of. The customer care rep called the dealer right after I got off the phone with her and within a few minutes the service rep at the dealer called me to make an appointment to get it in for the replacement. He asked me how I found out about this issue and I told him the same way I found out about the steering knuckle problem, this forum. He said he was going to start monitoring the forum so he could learn about the issues, because Kawasaki isn't sending out bulletins to him until he has a customer like me come in and tell them about it. Go figure!
I don't know what all will be replaced, I assume based on some of the posts here that they will replace the primary and the secondary clutch along with the belt. Possibly the one way bearing as well, although I haven't had a problem with the one way bearing yet. We shall see.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I took the machine to the dealer last week to get the clutch replaced. Wouldn't you know the parts are backordered with no ETA. We have 2.5 months to get parts before I'm supposed to go to Moab. It seems like it should be plenty of time, but I'm still a bit apprehensive about it. I can't help but think if the dealer had done their job and actually inspected the clutch properly when I had it in there 2 months ago complaining about clutch problems, I wouldn't be in this position now.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I picked up the machine from the dealer a few days ago. They replaced both primary and secondary clutches and the drive belt. I didn't think to get pics of the old parts, but the primary sheaves were pretty bad down low, no wonder it was slipping off of idle.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts