Kawasaki KRX Forum banner

Desert riding in the KRX

7K views 56 replies 14 participants last post by  Pound sand 
#1 ·
I'm thinking about getting a KRX and wondering how those of you that ride in the desert keep up with other cars? The guys I know have RZR XP1000s, x3s, RZR turbo S, Talon R etc. If you are running through dry riverbeds and trails any issue keeping up? I'm not talking about a straight up drag race. I know how that will end!

Thanks!

#2 ·
I ride with a few cars Polaris and can ams. You can definitely keep up in any terrain except the sand. Turbo anything dominates. You’ll get there just not as fast. In addition, the stock maxxis carnivores aren’t very good for sand. So you might want to upgrade them as well. I also recommend full head coverings or a glass windshield. You’ll be eating dirt all day if you’re riding behind the pack. My experience in the desert.

#8 ·
Thanks for all the responses! I like running the trails better than dunes anyway, but we ride in a lot of dry river beds that are sandy/silty

#12 ·
I wonder if the new ES model will be even better?

#15 ·
I just came back from a 3 day trip in baja and was on alot of the 500 course and the KRX will go as fast as you want to go you get the right springs and I have 35's for the extra ground clearance and I was hitting the rough stuff way faster than I should have been and it sucks it up like a true desert car should no other stock cars can even come close to this when it gets rough and tight. After market skids and springs and you are golden.

#16 ·
Are most of you guys running Shock Therapy springs without a shock revalve for desert work?

#21 ·
Now I need to find one!

#25 ·
Thanks!

#30 ·
So yesterday I got a ride in a KRX with a guy who only had 180 miles on it. The main thing I noticed is it sounds like it is geared too low or, if it had transmission gears, it needed an upshift! It was screaming. Is that normal?

I then rode in a RZR Turbo S w/Dynamix and that was much quieter and more power for sure. The Dynamix suspension may have been a bit better also, but not a lot

#32 ·
It is normal. The KRX is happiest at higher RPM's. It does make it loud, but also makes it shine in it's element. Unbeatable on slow, technical trails and rock crawling. It has more than enough power for doing that. If speed and racing are your thing, the Turbo S would be a much better machine for you.

#35 ·
Finally got a blue one and have been out inn the desert. No problem keeping up! Suspension is really nice and it's so easy to drive! Very happy with my decision!

Reactions: GWH and Paul65
#36 ·
Cool I knew you would like it just wait until you have to do springs because of sag and all the extras like spare tire ice chest and tools do the ST springs you will love them thing is a monster with bigger tires and clutch weights also change the belt right away and save your stock one for a spare G-Boost extreme

#37 ·
Is that the Bad Ass belt?

#38 ·
Im surprised people in this group have NOT experienced a KRX with a shock valve job yet. i hear you all talk about how good you all feel about the stock valving?!?!? People just dont know what they dont know. Im a Suspension DRIVE tuner. So i have plenty of DRIVE time on all these cars.
The KRX cars we do, drive circles around the stock KRX or aftermarket sprung cars. There is NO comparison. Our revalved and resprung car is smoother, faster, handles turns and rocks holes and sand better with more control and confidence than ANY stock valved car. And these people tend to stay in and drive much longer, faster and rougher terrain that people in the stock cars.

Im serious, i feel sad that so many have no idea what they are missing.
If your in California, feel free to show up at one of my dez or dune tuning days To see and feel for yourself. I drive and tune cars that are full size race cars that are hundreds of thousands of dollars, down to recreational SXS cars And everything in between.

Sorry, but i have to shake my head at what people think is “DIALED IN” Suspension wise. If people have NEVER experienced better, than they surely CANNOT make judgments on anything else.

I am NOT trying to put anyone down, not at all. But making the point that “you dont know what you dont know” Some of you that would like your car to be suspension better overall are missing the bus? Stock is far from best!!! Only changing the springs is only a tiny improvement.
I guess the KRX owners i have set up dont have time to come on the forums, they are out driving and burning fueL.

Moto on

#39 ·
Im surprised people in this group have NOT experienced a KRX with a shock valve job yet. i hear you all talk about how good you all feel about the stock valving?!?!? People just dont know what they dont know. Im a Suspension DRIVE tuner. So i have plenty of DRIVE time on all these cars.
The KRX cars we do, drive circles around the stock KRX or aftermarket sprung cars. There is NO comparison. Our revalved and resprung car is smoother, faster, handles turns and rocks holes and sand better with more control and confidence than ANY stock valved car. And these people tend to stay in and drive much longer, faster and rougher terrain that people in the stock cars.

Im serious, i feel sad that so many have no idea what they are missing.
If your in California, feel free to show up at one of my dez or dune tuning days To see and feel for yourself. I drive and tune cars that are full size race cars that are hundreds of thousands of dollars, down to recreational SXS cars And everything in between.

Sorry, but i have to shake my head at what people think is “DIALED IN” Suspension wise. If people have NEVER experienced better, than they surely CANNOT make judgments on anything else.

I am NOT trying to put anyone down, not at all. But making the point that “you dont know what you dont know” Some of you that would like your car to be suspension better overall are missing the bus? Stock is far from best!!! Only changing the springs is only a tiny improvement.
I guess the KRX owners i have set up dont have time to come on the forums, they are out driving and burning fueL.

Moto on
Is the valving you are talking about your own or shock therapy?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.