Kawasaki KRX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Our kits are totally different. Ours are wider for more durability, have a different profile ramp, made of a different steel, more affordable, and we don't include springs because we tested them and found them unnecessary.

·
Registered
2020 Krx 1000
147 Posts
It’s weird that they make their clutch weights specifically for a certain elevation range??

2020 Kawasaki KRX 1000, 0-3000’ elevation, oversized tires. (can be also used with stock tires)
At the risk of sounding like an idiot, what does elevation have to do with it??

·
Registered
53 Posts
At the risk of sounding like an idiot, what does elevation have to do with it??
Evevation changes effect normally aspirated engine performance causing a lower horsepower power band. Clutching for sleds at different altitudes, and difference performance envelopes is a very common practice. A good sled tuner will ask a lot of questions of the rider to get what the rider wants out of the sled. My son and I had two identical 1000 CC sleds, his was clutched for performance, mine for geezer riding. Mine would pull way good on take off, his would dislocate joints it would pull so hard. The only difference was clutching. It's an art. The elevation question caught my eye and indicates a tuner who just may know his stuff.

BTW, in my mind the only stupid question is the one not asked!

·
Registered
2020 Krx 1000
147 Posts
Evevation changes effect normally aspirated engine performance causing a lower horsepower power band. Clutching for sleds at different altitudes, and difference performance envelopes is a very common practice. A good sled tuner will ask a lot of questions of the rider to get what the rider wants out of the sled. My son and I had two identical 1000 CC sleds, his was clutched for performance, mine for geezer riding. Mine would pull way good on take off, his would dislocate joints it would pull so hard. The only difference was clutching. It's an art. The elevation question caught my eye and indicates a tuner who just may know his stuff.

BTW, in my mind the only stupid question is the one not asked!
Very interesting, thanks for the schooling.
With that in mind, as the aftermarket companies catch up, I would imagine you’ll see more clutch kits designed for different altitudes. I’ll have to do some more reading up on this topic, as I’d like to see if it’s better to put money on a clutch kit, or a super charger. If at 5 to 7k feet of altitude, (where I ride) where is the best bang for the dollar.
:unsure:
Thanks again!

·
Registered
53 Posts
The right answer is get both ( clutch kit and supercharger) as they complement each other.

A substantial number of the rides in our area start at 8000' plus and can go to over 12000. Personally, I think exra power isn't cost effective for the type of riding we ( me personally) do as the roads are rockey and narrow. Not to say that a SC or TC wouldn't be cool. If we did more desert and dunes a forced induction and requisite clutch work would be much higher on a to do list.

My son's highschool best friends dad is the owner of a pretty dialed in powersports dealership that did a lot of sled performance stuff (crazy like 300hp+ TC hill climber sleds) any and every mod included a clutch redial.

The Deranged off road guys did a nice piece on a clutch kit with a lot of adjustability built in. IIRC, they shaved something like 2 seconds off their 0-60 time on a KRX. That is performance money well spent. Point being, your clutch is a big (and often overlooked) factor in gaining the most performance out of your car. A good tuner always considers clutch settings when changing things. Your gonna be fiddiling with your clutch a lot if you want performance maximums....period. one of the big advantages to a belt CVT xmission is the variable clutching adjustability.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The right answer is get both ( clutch kit and supercharger) as they complement each other.

A substantial number of the rides in our area start at 8000' plus and can go to over 12000. Personally, I think exra power isn't cost effective for the type of riding we ( me personally) do as the roads are rockey and narrow. Not to say that a SC or TC wouldn't be cool. If we did more desert and dunes a forced induction and requisite clutch work would be much higher on a to do list.

My son's highschool best friends dad is the owner of a pretty dialed in powersports dealership that did a lot of sled performance stuff (crazy like 300hp+ TC hill climber sleds) any and every mod included a clutch redial.

The Deranged off road guys did a nice piece on a clutch kit with a lot of adjustability built in. IIRC, they shaved something like 2 seconds off their 0-60 time on a KRX. That is performance money well spent. Point being, your clutch is a big (and often overlooked) factor in gaining the most performance out of your car. A good tuner always considers clutch settings when changing things. Your gonna be fiddiling with your clutch a lot if you want performance maximums....period. one of the big advantages to a belt CVT xmission is the variable clutching adjustability.
That was our clutch kit in the video

·
Registered
53 Posts
That was our clutch kit in the video
It appears to be a very intuitive, well thought out design. The adjustability options certainly caught my attention. Most of the kits I see get you "kinda where you need to be....maybe." That's OK, I guess if your good with "kinda where you need to be....maybe." That can leave a lot on the table performance and drivability wise.

·
Registered
7 Posts
So with that kit, how do you know which weights to install?
We set it up close when the customer orders and fills out the drop down menu. Our weights are externally adjustable (you don't have to remove the weights to adjust them), so the customer can dial his/her setting in based on altitude, tire size, exhaust/flash and weight of accessories.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts