Kawasaki KRX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone stripped out their CVT cover bolt? I over tighten one of mine and the insert the bolt goes into is spinning in the housing and starting to come out the rear of it. How hard is it to replace the entire housing?

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Has anyone stripped out their CVT cover bolt? I over tighten one of mine and the insert the bolt goes into is spinning in the housing and starting to come out the rear of it. How hard is it to replace the entire housing?
Yep, I have not replaced the housing. I just cut a little of the back off enough so that I could get a hold of the nut that is in there with some pliers.
I have seen several take an impact and spin the nut until it heats up enough to pull through and then they go back and epoxy the nut back in... I hear the studs are a little too long but I don't know for sure. I do know you can torque correctly and still get one to stick. can also put anti seize on there and still get one to stick.

·
Registered
2021 KRX Blue
1,048 Posts
I had one stick yesterday. I only use hand tools to snug them down. This one was up high at the rear so it was in a great place to have the problem.
I have seen several take an impact and spin the nut until it heats up enough to pull through
That’s what I did. Then drilled a 1/4” hole all the way through and used a bolt and nut. Was sure glad this happened on one up high and readily accessible.

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
I had one stick yesterday. I only use hand tools to snug them down. This one was up high at the rear so it was in a great place to have the problem.

That’s what I did. Then drilled a 1/4” hole all the way through and used a bolt and nut. Was sure glad this happened on one up high and readily accessible.
O mine was the very bottom one... had to take off the skid plate to get underneath...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yep, I have not replaced the housing. I just cut a little of the back off enough so that I could get a hold of the nut that is in there with some pliers.
I have seen several take an impact and spin the nut until it heats up enough to pull through and then they go back and epoxy the nut back in... I hear the studs are a little too long but I don't know for sure. I do know you can torque correctly and still get one to stick. can also put anti seize on there and still get one to stick.
Yuup, doing this saturday. 😁😁😁

·
Registered
2021 KRX Blue
1,048 Posts
I use a 1/4” impact driver set on the lowest setting. On the Dewalt it will snug them but never overtighten. Then finish by hand.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I don't have my KRX in front of me as I'm lazy and don't want to walk out to the garage, but is there a way to either affix a nutsert or epoxy one in or would a nut be just as good?

I use a Milwaukee M12 1/4" ratchet to screw them back in and one day I'll lose my footing and accidentally do this same thing so I wanna be prepared for when I screw up.

Not certain about the nutsert, I'm gonna use jb weld and go from there. I gotta wait till it warms up a bit here in SE Virginia

1 - 11 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.