Kawasaki KRX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mods: please move this if i've posted in the wrong section or if this question has been answered in another thread that i didn't find:

so my question is: what is the best setup/what are you using to communicate both with your passenger and with others in your group while still being able to hammer down? we were out recently on a ride in the woods where there was a need to stay in communication with my teenager and his buddy that were driving our other UTV (i let him take the lead and sure as sh-- he was like any teenager, hammered down fearlessly and was gone). even though i've fitted a loud horn it's pretty much useless at speed- there are times you gotta tell that person in the lead to stop/slow down. I've looked at the Race Radios setups and am not sure if that's the one to buy (and which setup to buy), what the range on them is and ease of use. i want the passenger and i to be able to talk to each other and/or for either of us to be able to reach out to that other driver and communicate to them. whats better: a dedicated set of hardwired units, or the walkie talkie style units? what has better range and audio quality?

·
Premium Member
2020 KRX
1,025 Posts
I went with Rugged radios. Headsets are nice, you can easily talk to your passengers without yelling, and you can communicate with other cars (that have a radio) with a push of a button.
They’re having a Memorial Day sale right now. Hit up @craigstumph for any questions and pricing.

·
Registered
2021 KRX 1000 Trail Edition
33 Posts
A handheld radio will have at most 5 watts of transmit power whereas an installed mobile will be around 45 watts. The mobile will also be able to use a much better antenna. The gotchas are how that antenna is installed. It needs to be properly cut for the frequencies you are using, a good ground plane, and properly installed connector. Without doing it properly you will have high reflected power. Though when done properly you will be able to talk much farther than a handheld.

·
Registered
71 Posts
If car-to-car isn't a thing for you, my wife and I run Bluetooth communicators for in car. It's awesome - no plugging in and wireless means no shouting while someone's spotting. Has been a great system for us, but we don't communicate car-to-car.

·
Registered
220 Posts
For car to car location has a lot to do with this. It seams out west Rugged has a following on there questionable VHF channels. East coast leans to GMRS channels.

·
Registered
81 Posts
For car to car location has a lot to do with this. It seams out west Rugged has a following on there questionable VHF channels. East coast leans to GMRS channels.

Forgive my total ignorance and being a noob.... What is questionable about Rugged's VHF channels? It's not something I've heard of so I'm curious what the story is.

·
Registered
220 Posts
They have a few things going against them. Reselling cheap china radio's at a huge mark up, selling radio's that are not part certified for the intended use and frequency use that ranges from questionable to illegal. I'm not one of the HAM guy's that freak out over equipment violations. I have know problems with people doing what they want with there equipment. I don't like a company making money off people selling stuff people think is fine to use when it's not.

rugged radio legal issues - Google Search

·
Registered
482 Posts
What is questionable about Rugged's VHF channels?
Rugged was selling, and perhaps implying that their radios, which able to transmit on commercial VHF channels legally. They were kind of right with their claim that is was completely legal to use their blanket license but the circumstances were really pushing the regulatory envelope. There were issues of users impacting commercial channels and even emergency responder channels. Improper type certifications were an issue also IIRC. A long story, but the FCC ended up stepping in. We ride out west and their type 95 certified GMRS works fine for us. (Its a modified rebranded tyt8600 with an added intercom interlink pigtail and a ip waterproof certification) We get 5-10 miles in hilly terrain with a 25 watt mobile and a well tuned antenna.

·
Registered
2021 KRX 1000 Trail Edition
33 Posts
I'm in a unique situation of owning tower sites with licensed repeaters that cover 99% of my riding area. If not for that I would probably use gmrs channels with a license, or if everyone else in my group had ham licenses I would use the 2 meter band.

·
Registered
482 Posts
If not for that I would probably use gmrs channels with a license, or if everyone else in my group had ham licenses I would use the 2 meter band.
I gave up and went licensed GMRS. A few years on Christmas gifted, programmed HTs to family members, some friends, gifted paid for on line Ham study sites resulted in zero licenses. I was hoping for at least some 2M amature band simplex but no interest because you have to memorize the answers to a few questions.

The wierd thing is I have a few GMRS HTs that I'll pass around to immediate family members for rides and they love them. A standing offer to do a mobile install in my shop, tune the antenna, supply a lot, if not all, parts is completely ignored 😑 If you're in a group riding in an unfamiliar area with lots if intersections and dead-ends radio comms and good gps mapping are game changers.

·
Registered
2020 Green KRX
861 Posts
If car-to-car isn't a thing for you, my wife and I run Bluetooth communicators for in car. It's awesome - no plugging in and wireless means no shouting while someone's spotting. Has been a great system for us, but we don't communicate car-to-car.
Can you share what setup you have? Want the same for my wife and I. Don’t care about car to car communication either.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Sure thing, you'll love it. Way I looked at it, if I really needed more, I'd just sell 'em, but there's no plans to sell them at this time!

·
Registered
2020 Green KRX
861 Posts
Sure thing, you'll love it. Way I looked at it, if I really needed more, I'd just sell 'em, but there's no plans to sell them at this time!
Looking for over the ear communication. But I think I’m on the right track.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts