Kawasaki KRX Forum banner
61 - 80 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
2021 KRX SE
391 Posts
That's a question nobody has the answer too that I've heard or seen. And not one I spend an awful lot of time worrying about. People wanna complain about spending $350 on a set of weights, although I agree they shouldn't start having problems as soon as some seem to with the weights but, as speedyg said it is what it is. I mean if you wanna start comparing kawi to other manufacturers, they have problems with things that kawi doesn't, ex.. blowing belts, wheel bearings, axles etc. Plus the krx already comes factory with things you don't have to buy after market "as with other manufacturers" higher clearance a arms, larger tires, complete doors "that don't need inserts" beadlocks, So on a cost of ownership aspect I still believe the krx compared to other manufacturers has the lowest cost of ownership. So imo for $350 an the 1/2 hour to install them, you can have the most capable, dependable, durable machine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
That's a question nobody has the answer too that I've heard or seen. And not one I spend an awful lot of time worrying about. People wanna complain about spending $350 on a set of weights, although I agree they shouldn't start having problems as soon as some seem to with the weights but, as speedyg said it is what it is. I mean if you wanna start comparing kawi to other manufacturers, they have problems with things that kawi doesn't, ex.. blowing belts, wheel bearings, axles etc. Plus the krx already comes factory with things you don't have to buy after market "as with other manufacturers" higher clearance a arms, larger tires, complete doors "that don't need inserts" beadlocks, So on a cost of ownership aspect I still believe the krx compared to other manufacturers has the lowest cost of ownership. So imo for $350 an the 1/2 hour to install them, you can have the most capable, dependable, durable machine.
I wasn't complaining at all. All the things you stated about the krx is why I bought it. Just curious as to why the krx weights seem to wear faster.

·
Registered
2021 KRX SE
391 Posts
I wasn't complaining at all. All the things you stated about the krx is why I bought it. Just curious as to why the krx weights seem to wear faster.
Yeah I don't know, I wonder that too, maybe made out of too soft of material?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Yeah I don't know, I wonder that too, maybe made out of too soft of material?
I would also say its too soft of material. So customers shouldnt complain about parts wearing out so quick? Lol thats funny right there. Look at alot of customers that cannot just whip up $350. for parts that should last alot longer then they do. l bet if Kawasaki would have to replace all of these crappy made weights at the their expense they would come up with a solution real fast!!! I love my KRX n yes its a well built machine for sure, But to say people want to complain about $350. dollars weights have every damn right to do so. I put alot of miles on my KRX per year n if l am going to have to pay $800+ a year in just in weights that is BS. And yes l have every right to complain.

·
Registered
2021 KRX SE
391 Posts
I would also say its too soft of material. So customers shouldnt complain about parts wearing out so quick? Lol thats funny right there. Look at alot of customers that cannot just whip up $350. for parts that should last alot longer then they do. l bet if Kawasaki would have to replace all of these crappy made weights at the their expense they would come up with a solution real fast!!! I love my KRX n yes its a well built machine for sure, But to say people want to complain about $350. dollars weights have every damn right to do so. I put alot of miles on my KRX per year n if l am going to have to pay $800+ a year in just in weights that is BS. And yes l have every right to complain.
Easy lol. I'm flattered you think I have the power to take people's right Away to complain. I Wish my wife an kids thought that lol. An its awesome you get to log that many miles a year with your machine, I'm jealous. I'm lucky to get 1000 miles a year in. And I agreed with you, the weights should last longer, but they simply don't seem to be. By your post, rcor has seemed to extend the durability by 1200 miles or so, well that's a step in the right direction. I do believe some one will accomplish making a set to last even longer, now with that being said will doing so make other components in the primary start to wear out? Who knows. But yes I believe kawi missed the mark on the weights. But in my statement all I was trying to say was they hit the mark on so many other things, an to me personally, and I repeat this is "my opinion" if I log 1000 miles a year that is $350 over 3 years or roughly $115 a year I'll spend in a wearable part. I personally won't complain about that.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Green KRX
1,560 Posts
Easy lol. I'm flattered you think I have the power to take people's right Away to complain. I Wish my wife an kids thought that lol. An its awesome you get to log that many miles a year with your machine, I'm jealous. I'm lucky to get 1000 miles a year in. And I agreed with you, the weights should last longer, but they simply don't seem to be. By your post, rcor has seemed to extend the durability by 1200 miles or so, well that's a step in the right direction. I do believe some one will accomplish making a set to last even longer, now with that being said will doing so make other components in the primary start to wear out? Who knows. But yes I believe kawi missed the mark on the weights. But in my statement all I was trying to say was they hit the mark on so many other things, an to me personally, and I repeat this is "my opinion" if I log 1000 miles a year that is $350 over 3 years or roughly $115 a year I'll spend in a wearable part. I personally won't complain about that.
Plus oil changes, tires, filters. Unexpected damage. That’s pretty bad. But just like you I have ridden 800 miles in almost 2 years.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Obviously it is the weights but why are none of the other manufacturers having these issues?
Most of the manufactures have issue's with fly weights wearing. For some reason it seems like it just a made into a much bigger deal with the KRX or that with low gearing it's noticed/happens more. It's common on RZR's that get a lot of High speed riding. Of course by that point a RZR usually needs a whole CVT.

·
Registered
2021 KRX Blue
733 Posts
Are these clutch issues normal or is this from running oversized tires?? I'd really like to run 33 or 35 tires.
May depend on how you ride.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had 580 miles on mine and I got the dealer to replace the weights for nothing. The service mngr told me I'll need aftermarket clutch. I asked him why didn't he contact me about putting in a new one when it was torn apart, duh ! He also told me it was my driving on the pavement from going to the store 1-3 miles away at steady speeds. I called BS on that. So drinving the same speed on a logging road is OK.........WTF !

·
Registered
170 Posts
Well... there are no aftermarket clutches available, only aftermarket weights... there is something to running a constant speed on the road, when the primary clutch shifts all the way out the tips of the weights have a lot of pressure on them and they set there in one spot under pressure and this causes the tips to wear prematurely, it should not do it but because this machine is geared so low and the primary shifts to full open quickly I believe this is "part" of the issue.. the factory weights are also very poorly made and are an inferior material.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well... there are no aftermarket clutches available, only aftermarket weights... there is something to running a constant speed on the road, when the primary clutch shifts all the way out the tips of the weights have a lot of pressure on them and they set there in one spot under pressure and this causes the tips to wear prematurely, it should not do it but because this machine is geared so low and the primary shifts to full open quickly I believe this is "part" of the issue.. the factory weights are also very poorly made and are an inferior material.
My weights hardly had any wear. I think I caught mine before they got really bad. It felt like you were pressing in a manual tranny clutch in the old days. That will make sense to us old timers....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hulk, that was me that posted them for you.

Here’s the thing that everyone has to remember regarding the clutch weights in this machine. They are a wearable item, and will need replacement from time to time.

Now, the factory ones are weak garbage IMO, and simply need to be upgraded to a stronger set. With the high rpm’s of this machine, this is a part that takes major abuse, and therefore you’ll want to find a set that works with YOUR style of riding. There are a few different brands out there that have slightly different designs and “ramp” patterns to suit different styles of riding. Find what works for you.

I have the rcor set installed on mine as well, and I simply love them. But, I’m fully aware that they are a wearable item, and if I can get 3000 miles out of them, vs 1200 miles on OEM ones, I’ll be happy.
The weights are a piss poor design. Weights should NOT wear out at 500 miles like mine did. I've been off-roading for 40 years and owned a lot of quads and side x sides and Jeeps and I've never had any issues with any other brand............Dunno

·
Registered
45 Posts
The weights are a piss poor design. Weights should NOT wear out at 500 miles like mine did. I've been off-roading for 40 years and owned a lot of quads and side x sides and Jeeps and I've never had any issues with any other brand............Dunno
Care to elaborate on "piss poor design" ?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Weak material. I haven't checked my weights yet but can ASSume they're wearing prematurely. I have been the type to blow out my clutches after nearly every ride but definitely after group rides and a metric f-ton of dust is normal, but I see shiny sparklies in the air when I blow. That ain't dust from the desert otherwise I might be rich with precious metals.

I'm hearing our factory weights are merely chrome plated? Regardless, shiny dust is not desert dust so something is wearing. My sheaves don't exhibit any scoring as many mention and I attribute that to the blowing out mostly.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The “average” that I’m seeing out there is 1200 miles before I see people talk about the “shifting feeling” I changed mine at 350 miles on the OEM, as they were already showing signs of dying. I also changed my belt to a better one. I’m trying to be proactive vs reactive to the clutch issues that this machine has.
So you changed out weights to RCOR ?
What belt did you change to ?
Alot of info in this thread, just trying to get a consensus of the best combination of weights/belt for us guys that are trail riding in the desert ?

·
Registered
2021 KRX Blue
733 Posts
I think it all depends on HOW you ride. Look at me. Ha!

·
Registered
2021 KRX 1000 Blue
265 Posts
We had Yamaha snowmobiles for years and never replace a primary clutch weight on four different machines. They were run at full throttle a lot of the time turning similar RPMs.

61 - 80 of 83 Posts