Kawasaki KRX Forum banner
41 - 60 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
2021 KRX 1000 Blue
265 Posts
My KRX is waiting for me to return to AZ for the winter and take it out in the desert for the first time. I am debating on installing the weight before the first ride and do it for the second one so I can see the difference it makes.

·
Premium Member
2020 KRX
1,299 Posts
My KRX is waiting for me to return to AZ for the winter and take it out in the desert for the first time. I am debating on installing the weight before the first ride and do it for the second one so I can see the difference it makes.
I can tell you first hand, it makes a big difference. The one thing I didn’t like about this machine was the “lag” in response to throttle. Before, going around corners and such, when you wanted to kick the a$$ end around, it didn’t happen. Now I can do it no problem. Even more so with the PV3 tune. (I checked both with, and without a tune using the new weights) You won’t be disappointed!!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Hulk, that was me that posted them for you.

Here’s the thing that everyone has to remember regarding the clutch weights in this machine. They are a wearable item, and will need replacement from time to time.

Now, the factory ones are weak garbage IMO, and simply need to be upgraded to a stronger set. With the high rpm’s of this machine, this is a part that takes major abuse, and therefore you’ll want to find a set that works with YOUR style of riding. There are a few different brands out there that have slightly different designs and “ramp” patterns to suit different styles of riding. Find what works for you.

I have the rcor set installed on mine as well, and I simply love them. But, I’m fully aware that they are a wearable item, and if I can get 3000 miles out of them, vs 1200 miles on OEM ones, I’ll be happy.
Thats right u did post them for me. About the clutch weights l know they are a wearable part but so are piston rings, cams, starters n thousands of other parts on these machines. But l expect them to last more then 3500 miles! Hell my factory ones lasted 2500 miles. But paying n replacing them every 3,000 to 3500 miles is totally BS! l am sorry but no one can tell me in this day n age someone cannot come up with a material that will last n last! Again everything that moves on these sxs's, cars, trucks, motorcycles, n the list goes on & on is a wearable item lol. They need to do something about this n freaking handle it period! l to loved the right coast weights when l installed them, But l expected them to last alot longer then they did. Sorry but l cannot see spending $ 350. to $ 400. every 3000 to 3500 miles for a so called wearable part. If they wear out that fast they shouldnt cost what they do. Sorry money doesn't grow on trees for me. I owned my KRX 1yr 4 months now n have 6000. miles on it n maintain it n service it every 500 miles. there is no way l should have to replace n spend around $800. every 6000. miles for this wearable part. Thank GOD that someone knows how to make cams, pistons rings, pistons, connecting rods, valves, suspension parts n the list goes on & on with these high rpm off road machines. Again l have had no problems at all with my KRX. But with this weak link with these weights is a joke. Just saying

·
Premium Member
2020 KRX
1,299 Posts
l am sorry but no one can tell me in this day n age someone cannot come up with a material that will last n last!
I agree, but if and when and till they do, unfortunately it is what it is.

l to loved the right coast weights when l installed them, But l expected them to last alot longer then they did.
Give Jason a call at @RightCoastOff-Road and explain what’s going on, he’s good people and I’m sure he’ll take care of you one way or another.

·
Registered
131 Posts

Give Jason a call at @RightCoastOff-Road and explain what’s going on, he’s good people and I’m sure he’ll take care of you one way or another.
How many miles do u have on ur right coast weights? You said u only got 1200 miles out of the factory weights, because I got 2500 miles from factory weights. I only got 1000 more miles out from right coast weights. It has to get better then that.

·
Premium Member
2020 KRX
1,299 Posts
How many miles do u have on ur right coast weights? You said u only got 1200 miles out of the factory weights, because I got 2500 miles from factory weights. I only got 1000 more miles out from right coast weights. It has to get better then that.
The “average” that I’m seeing out there is 1200 miles before I see people talk about the “shifting feeling” I changed mine at 350 miles on the OEM, as they were already showing signs of dying. I also changed my belt to a better one. I’m trying to be proactive vs reactive to the clutch issues that this machine has.

·
Registered
131 Posts

How many miles do u have on ur right coast weights? You said u only got 1200 miles out of the factory weights

·
Registered
131 Posts
I must of been lucky with my factory weights lasting 2500 miles. so how many miles do u have on the right coast weights right now? at 6000 mile mark I also changed my factory cvt belt out n installed a bad ass belt.

·
Premium Member
2020 KRX
1,299 Posts
I’ve only got a couple hundred miles on the new weights. Again, I changed out my factory weights at only 350 miles, not 1200.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I’ve only got a couple hundred miles on the new weights. Again, I changed out my factory weights at only 350 miles, not 1200.
[/QU
I thought u had alot of miles on ur KRX. I understand now why 3000 miles sounds like alot to u. But if u put alot of miles on like some of us 3000 miles isnt much at all. So thats where $400.00 a pop to replace cheap ass material weights means alot. Just saying
OTE]
I’ve only got a couple hundred miles on the new weights. Again, I changed out my factory weights at only 350 miles, not 1200

·
Registered
Las Vegas, NV
178 Posts
JBS has their weights listed on their website.

·
Registered
131 Posts

Does anyone have these JBS weights on their KRX?

Does anyone have these weights?

·
Registered
2021 KRX SE
391 Posts
Does anyone have these weights?
No but in another post I asked if any one did an I wondered what the difference in the ramp style of jbs being more of a flat vs rcor being more of an arched did. I am just curious, why did jbs go with a flatter style? He done that for a reason. I don't know enough about clutch weights an how/what the difference in ramp styles effects things.

·
Premium Member
2020 KRX
1,299 Posts
I’ve been following along on the JBS weights for some time now. IMO, he has designed those weights for the “mudder” crowd. And also to work in conjunction with his clutch reduction mod. No doubt he knows his $hit when it comes to clutching, but I don’t think his weights will work well for desert riding. I could be wrong. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
2021 KRX SE
391 Posts
That's another area I'm a little confused on, imo the krx is low enough I don't quite understand the need/want to do a reduction. I run 35's an have no problems with it not being low enough.

·
Premium Member
2020 KRX
1,299 Posts
That's another area I'm a little confused on, imo the krx is low enough I don't quite understand the need/want to do a reduction. I run 35's an have no problems with it not being low enough.
You have to keep in mind these guys run 40-45’s on their buggies. Plus, the whole idea of the reduction is to get the “mass” of larger tires moving quickly.

·
Registered
2021 KRX SE
391 Posts
You have to keep in mind these guys run 40-45’s on their buggies. Plus, the whole idea of the reduction is to get the “mass” of larger tires moving quickly.
That's true, I never thought about people running 40's or even larger tires. 👍

·
Registered
11 Posts
I bought my 20 August 7th of 20. Done the break in per manual. After 400-500 miles started getting the shifting feeling. Left it with dealer 4 different times after making appointments only for it to sit at dealer for 2-3 weeks at a time never looked at. At 3500 miles I scheduled and dropped off at different dealer and within a week was contacted with an answer. Kawasaki replaced primary, secondary & belt. Parts were at dealer within 12 days but new primary was by what I was told "bent". Service manager calls to let me know and says he just got off the phone with kawasaki and they had given him number to three different dealers that showed the "new" primary in stock. Had "new" primary within 3 days and machine back at home few days after that. By "new" I'm referencing to the new part#. I've tried to find what was changed if anything but had no luck. It definitely wasn't the weights because now I'm pushing 5000 miles and within the 400 mile mark on "new" clutch its started the same thing. I've seen it mentioned that it seems like the people riding blacktop are the ones having these issues the most and I believe that's a big part of it cause we ride alot of backroads in my small town getting from one creek/farm to the next but my problem is I ride with can am's & polaris's with the same number of miles as mine without them having the same issues. Is it clutch? Is it the high rpm's?

·
Registered
2021 KRX SE
391 Posts
I bought my 20 August 7th of 20. Done the break in per manual. After 400-500 miles started getting the shifting feeling. Left it with dealer 4 different times after making appointments only for it to sit at dealer for 2-3 weeks at a time never looked at. At 3500 miles I scheduled and dropped off at different dealer and within a week was contacted with an answer. Kawasaki replaced primary, secondary & belt. Parts were at dealer within 12 days but new primary was by what I was told "bent". Service manager calls to let me know and says he just got off the phone with kawasaki and they had given him number to three different dealers that showed the "new" primary in stock. Had "new" primary within 3 days and machine back at home few days after that. By "new" I'm referencing to the new part#. I've tried to find what was changed if anything but had no luck. It definitely wasn't the weights because now I'm pushing 5000 miles and within the 400 mile mark on "new" clutch its started the same thing. I've seen it mentioned that it seems like the people riding blacktop are the ones having these issues the most and I believe that's a big part of it cause we ride alot of backroads in my small town getting from one creek/farm to the next but my problem is I ride with can am's & polaris's with the same number of miles as mine without them having the same issues. Is it clutch? Is it the high rpm's?
If it's not the weights then how's come people that have the shifting problem change there weights an then the shifting problem goes away?

41 - 60 of 83 Posts