Kawasaki KRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
2021 KRX
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just replaced my weights today with RCORs. Began feeling the shifting problem at 1200 miles and was not surprised by what I found. I suggest anyone getting a KRX replace these as one of the first things they upgrade. It feels like a different machine today no shifting and defiantly less rpms. I hope the wear on my pulley stops though doesn’t feel too bad but I guess time will tell

·
Registered
132 Posts
Just replaced my weights today with RCORs. Began feeling the shifting problem at 1200 miles and was not surprised by what I found. I suggest anyone getting a KRX replace these as one of the first things they upgrade. It feels like a different machine today no shifting and defiantly less rpms. I hope the wear on my pulley stops though doesn’t feel too bad but I guess time will tell View attachment 4520 View attachment 4521 View attachment 4522
I talked to a mechanic at a KRX rental when I was in Moab. They tried the RCOR and he said they don't hold up any better. I got warranty on 2 sets of factory weights and then a new clutch. It's to 🔥 to ride right now but I'll let you know how it holds up.I have the RCOR weights. If the factory don't hold up in the new clutch I'll use the RCOR

·
Super Moderator
2020 Green KRX
1,382 Posts
I wonder if someone made some pieces out of forged billet if they would last longer?

·
Registered
2021 KRX
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sad to hear the RCOR weights will wear out too . I haven’t seen anyone post anything about the aftermarket weights wearing out until now. Should I expect them to be bad after 1500 miles or will they last longer ?

·
Registered
132 Posts
sad to hear the RCOR weights will wear out too . I haven’t seen anyone post anything about the aftermarket weights wearing out until now. Should I expect them to be bad after 1500 miles or will they last longer ?
The only first hand experience I have is what the mechanic told me. They had several pair and he said they didn't last any longer. My first set starting getting the shift bump at about 1200 miles. The 2nd set at 300. One of their rentals had 7000 miles on it.

·
Registered
2020 krx 1000. 35" System 3 xtr370's.
27 Posts
I'm sure if that happens and a call got placed to RCOR with the right purchase history to match, they'd probably do the right thing. I've had a good experience with them so far.

·
Registered
249 Posts
On the older Arctic cat clutches we had trouble with the bushing in the weight going bad, then they redesigned and made the pin mounting points the bearing surface (spread it out and increased load bearing surface-set screwed weight to the pin). The only way we got a groove is when things were sticking....multiple issues. This just looks like intense stress at the tip. There has to be other problems with that much wear.

·
Registered
132 Posts
On the older Arctic cat clutches we had trouble with the bushing in the weight going bad, then they redesigned and made the pin mounting points the bearing surface (spread it out and increased load bearing surface-set screwed weight to the pin). The only way we got a groove is when things were sticking....multiple issues. This just looks like intense stress at the tip. There has to be other problems with that much wear.
I agree. I've had 4 other machines before the KRX never had a problem. I put 22000 miles combined on them and the first 2 didn't have the clutch cover off. I know Polaris seems to have a lot of trouble with their clutches but none with the fingers. It can't be that hard to engineer them to last more than 1500 miles. That is what Kawasaki says is the service life. At 90$ apiece they need to last much longer than that.

·
Registered
2021 KRX
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hopefully I don’t have other problems going on but the machine has run great until the shifting issues began. I replaced to stock belt 300 miles ago with a badass belt. The stock belt was fine and on spec when I removed it.

I don’t abuse my machine but it so tackle some rough hill climbs and trails where it ride , but the majority of the miles Have been driving to the trails on a mix of dirt and over roads usually traveling between 30 and 40 mph. If I get 7000 miles out of these new weights I’ll be very happy just don’t want to be spending the money on them every 1500 miles

I appreciate all the information that is being shared

·
Registered
Las Vegas, NV
118 Posts
JBS is working on a clutch kit. They were telling me they are working on a cryo treatment to harden them.

·
Registered
249 Posts
The only thing I can think of is when on engine braking, extreme force is being applied at this time? Isn't this the only difference in the system from other applications

·
Registered
132 Posts
The only thing I can think of is when on engine braking, extreme force is being applied at this time? Isn't this the only difference in the system from other applications
Yamaha uses the same system as the KRX. The belt in the primary is always engaged and there is a clutch with a one way bearing just like the KRX. They have been using this for years with no problems.

·
Registered
24 Posts
JBS is working on a clutch kit. They were telling me they are working on a cryo treatment to harden them.
You can now pre-order JBS weights. Looks like there profile is quite a bit different than RCOR & Dynojet. There web site states that there weights are designed to work without the primary spring. Coating on weights that will outlast factory weights.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I personally wouldn't put anything from JBS on my machine based on the horrific pics & feedback I have read. I have seen multiple accounts of people running their weights and having them literally break in half and explode the entire primary.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Yamaha uses the same system as the KRX. The belt in the primary is always engaged and there is a clutch with a one way bearing just like the KRX. They have been using this for years with no problems.
Yep, hard to believe 110hp is taking these materials to their limit. 200hp production machines eating weights?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I talked to a mechanic at a KRX rental when I was in Moab. They tried the RCOR and he said they don't hold up any better. I got warranty on 2 sets of factory weights and then a new clutch. It's to 🔥 to ride right now but I'll let you know how it holds up.I have the RCOR weights. If the factory don't hold up in the new clutch I'll use the RCOR
Which Rental place ?

1 - 20 of 68 Posts