Kawasaki KRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Carnivores are already shot, have some 35" Braven Bloodaxe rubber en-route. I have seen some of you have installed clutch kits when switching to these large tires. Is this needed? There are a few vendors that offer these kits now, who do you think has the best solution for these additional diameter tires?

·
Super Moderator
2020 Kawasaki KRX
856 Posts
You know it's going to change your gearing so it's going to be up to you to ride it and decide if you think it needs clutch work. Some folks swear it doesn't, and some swear it does.
I heard good things about the kit from Right Coast Off Road if you decide to change out your weights.
My thoughts on the best solution is to only step up to a 32-33" tire and not worry about any other mods.

·
Registered
2021 KRX Blue
227 Posts
In low range on slow speed trails I think the stock clutch is fine. I’m talking 3-10 mph and up to 18-20 on short straightaways. Basically creeping around, which is how we ride tight technical full of trees hills and creek crossings.

Now when road riding in high range I can really tell the 35”s killed the take off. That’s when I can envision a clutch change. I’m not planning one, and if I did it again I’d choose 32” tires that were lighter in weight.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Run it first.. if you don’t want to do the clutch kit do the vfj s2 tune and you’ll be quite satisfied when with the 35’s. I actually preferred mine before I did the clutch weights and was just running the vfj tune. BUT I had to do weights as mine were worn.. so I just didn’t the dalton kit. Don’t get me wrong, the dalton kit does what it’s suppose to but the rpms are up and I just preferred it before.

·
Registered
2000 white KRX
396 Posts
My vote is in for 32” as well..
I think definitely moving away from the 31 inch that we are locked in from Kawasaki move into a 32 inch is an upgrade in itself plus less weight and overall still somewhat bigger and manageable

·
Registered
613 Posts
They've been on backorder for-ever, but I'm waiting for Roxxzillas in 32"......they're supposed to measure out at 32.4"

I'm more a fast trail rider and 35" turn it more into a rock crawler slow-medium speed stuff.

Back to the OP, you'll be fine with either a tuned clutch or not...........myself I run with no primary spring as I like how it gears the machine lower and lowers RPMS and noise.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I have, and it killed the 'sportiness and acceleration. you could feel the weight both in accel and braking too.

·
Registered
2000 white KRX
396 Posts
A vfj s2 tune and 35’s will outrun a stock machine with stock tires.
Imagine a vF2 tune and 32’s.. lol

tit for tat
35’s look good.
Me personally, just weight thing for me. Also like Heap here zillas make standard tires which are harder (not sticky and the comp tires) zillas in 32 or actually larger, less weight cheaper, and look awesome just the same with I believe a longer ware.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Imagine a vF2 tune and 32’s.. lol

tit for tat
35’s look good.
Me personally, just weight thing for me. Also like Heap here zillas make standard tires which are harder (not sticky and the comp tires) zillas in 32 or actually larger, less weight cheaper, and look awesome just the same with I believe a longer ware.
So I had the stock tires on it a day or two before I added the 35’s.. you would literally not hookup and just spin when you would mash it to the floor with the tune, it was crazy. With the 35’s it hooks up faster and puts the power to the ground sooner. We all know why... and yes on 32’s it would be fine. I guess my point is, I’m running 35’s and driving harder than most. When everything is setup right it’s awesome even at 60-65 mph on the open trails. Don’t be afraid of a 35 on it because most 35’s are running 33-34” anyway and the machine can handle them fine. The only appreciable thing I’ve noticed vs stock, is a slight addition of feedback in the steering wheel. ST springs helped that a lot and I don’t notice it anymore. As for the braking comment.. yeah, it’s more rotational mass. It won’t brake quite as hard. But locked up sliding is locked up sliding when on a hard stop. Simple solution... more skinny peddle and less brake!

·
Super Moderator
2020 Kawasaki KRX
856 Posts
My vote is in for 32” as well..
I think definitely moving away from the 31 inch that we are locked in from Kawasaki move into a 32 inch is an upgrade in itself plus less weight and overall still somewhat bigger and manageable
And a true 32" tire is about 2" taller than the "31 inch" Carnivore.

·
Registered
2021 KRX Blue
227 Posts
My OEM 31” Carnivores were 30” on the machine. My 35” XTR 370’s are 34.5”.

Reactions: JTW

·
Super Moderator
2020 Kawasaki KRX
856 Posts
Depending on what tire they all vary in diameter

This is Maxis roxxzillas showing their diameters which most of them are over the size

It's interesting that the same company can have tires that are true to size as well as smaller than listed. The Bighorns I used to run were always every bit the advertised size. The Viper and Carnivore run considerably smaller than advertised.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts