Kawasaki KRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Blue KRX
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are a few threads on clutch related torques but the clutch cover bolt seems like it could be 3 different covers to me. I just removed the primary spring and would like to have the correct torques.
What is the proper term for the cover that holds the primary spring down with 8 Allen bolts?
What about this cage with 2 nuts and 2 bolts?

And finally the plastic cover that covers the entire assembly and keeps it water tight?

Maybe I’m a moron but pictures are worth a thousand words.

Reactions: BobX2

·
Registered
411 Posts
This should help you find all the torque specs you need.

·
Registered
2021 Blue KRX
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, but what is what in that list?

·
Registered
2021 Blue
183 Posts
The plastic cover is 15 ft lb. 80 in lb (corrected). I twisted one of the bolts off because I read the wrong torque value for the wrong cover. Thankfully, the rest of them backed out and are OK. I'm still going to replace them all just in case.

·
Registered
2014 T2 SE, 2021 KRX 1000 TE
207 Posts
To the OP. On your first picture with the clutch cover allen head bolts=11 foot lbs. On the second picture with the clutch cover nuts=15 foot lbs.
The third picture is the converter cover bolts=80 inch lbs. It appears that it is a common mistake to confuse the clutch cover(inner aluminum cover which contains the primary spring) with the converter cover(the big plastic cover that covers the entire belt and pulley assembly).

·
Registered
2021 Blue KRX
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To the OP. On your first picture with the clutch cover allen head bolts=11 foot lbs. On the second picture with the clutch cover nuts=15 foot lbs.
The third picture is the converter cover bolts=80 inch lbs. It appears that it is a common mistake to confuse the clutch cover(inner aluminum cover which contains the primary spring) with the converter cover(the big plastic cover that covers the entire belt and pulley assembly).
Perfect, thank you!

·
Registered
2021 Blue
183 Posts
Clutch cover torque is 80 inch lbs, that equals about 6.7 foot lbs. Thats why the bolt snapped
Appreciate the clarification. I am no longer confused.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Clutch cover torque is 80 inch lbs, that equals about 6.7 foot lbs. Thats why the bolt snapped

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
All i do is just Snug them up right good and let it go i have not had any kind of problem with them coming losses or anything and we ride in some really rough places around in Tennessee hills ........and also i took out primary spring and cut 2 links off it and put a badass belt on it .......that lowered my RPM and boosted up my speed to 70mpr and i am running stock with NO tunes

·
Registered
4 Posts
Curious and ignorant... what do the numbers in the manual mean exactly?
for torque converter cover bolts, it reads 9.0 (ft lbs?) .92 (NM?) 80 in lbs....
But 80 in lbs converts to 6.7 ft lbs.
Mostly curious because I'm about to reinstall my primary and secondary and i'm reading 230 and 135 ft lbs respectively. But if the 9.0 it reads for the torque converter cover bolts is NOT in ft lbs (because its actually 6.7 ft lbs) then is the 230 and 135 readings not actually ft lbs?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Actually the manual says 9.0 n-m(Newton Meters).

Same with the other specifications, The first column is Newton-Meters and the last column is ft-lbs unless in-lbs are specifically shown in the column.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Actually the manual says 9.0 n-m(Newton Meters).
View attachment 5838

Same with the other specifications, The first column is Newton-Meters and the last column is ft-lbs unless in-lbs are specifically shown in the column.
Gotcha, thanks very much. I understand now, after seeing the labels at the top that you sent here. I was going by the last pic of the manual on this thread, as well as on markedmotorsports where is did not have the designations for the three columns.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
In case this comes up in a search again, I'll add my $0.02. I have the downloaded Kawasaki service manual from Facebook. The Drive pulley housing, AKA, cage nuts in the service manual claim 15 INCH lbs and 11 INCH lbs for the 2 long thin bolts. I call bullshit for sure and advise to go with the other published torque specs of 15 FOOT lbs, aka 15 and 11 ft⋅lbf respectively.

·
Registered
207 Posts
That is the issue nowadays with a lack of proof reading. The torque chart shows it correctly and the assembly instructions are so-so. Ironic that the NM spec is correct on your attachment but they inserted in-lb where it should have been ft-lb. Always a good idea to cross reference everything.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
That is the issue nowadays with a lack of proof reading. The torque chart shows it correctly and the assembly instructions are so-so. Ironic that the NM spec is correct on your attachment but they inserted in-lb where it should have been ft-lb. Always a good idea to cross reference everything.
Well, I'm emailing with Dalton because they passed along the bogus factory service manual torque specs. They have the instructions pre-packaged in existing kits but maybe they'll change it for the future. Maybe not. I fear if anyone else follows instructions to a T like I normally try to do they'll end up with a bad outcome. They said nobody as of yet has had an issue. Probably because not many have an in-lb torque wrench so they just snug it up which is better than using the incorrect published spec.

·
Registered
2021 Blue KRX
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I’ve never noticed that in the manual, it’s correct on the page I use

Reactions: Bizill

·
Registered
629 Posts
With it being jap and metric, they are probably doing conversions from NM. Saw the same errors in the Honda manuals. Most torque wrenches have NM on the opposite side. After my Honda issues I always do the conversion to see if it's right and use Nm.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
For sure, I didn't mention in this thread why I even bring this up. In the other thread I mentioned I torqued my drive pulley's, aka, primary drive clutch cover to the service manual's (and Dalton's clutch kit instructions they copied from the service manual obviously) to the lesser spec and put on my cvt outer cover. Next morning felt something was off probably due to my friend having his correct specs in front of him like 98whitelightnin posted above so I popped off my outer cover, started up my KRX and with the initial high idle it engaged the wet clutch, thus spinning the primary and that funkin' drive pulley housing/"cage" was wigglin' and wobblin' like a drunken monkey.

Torqued those bitches to 15 ft-lb for nuts and 11 for bolts and all was well. I took it easy and only hit 8500 rpm as I as breaking everything including a new belt and everything ran fine. I just really want everyone to be safe. Obviously I'm not the only one who had questions about torque settings and there will be others who'll read this. Thank goodness for everyone's willingness to help one another out.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts