Kawasaki KRX Forum banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
I was told yesterday by Kawi dealer that only engine mechanical mods will void warranty. Tunes and exhaust he laughed at and said no problem.
Hope that is right. In my experience, what a typical dealer tells me is about 60%-70% true. I could see a lean tune destroying an engine in short order. I should be talking with my dealer we have done business with for 20something years in a week or so. A guy I trust, I'll get his take.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Would there be any benefit in having the entire exhaust system coated?

Thinking besides keeping everything looking nice, it would help with heat??

Impatiently waiting on the ES to arrive and have time to kill...not good!

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
yes the Jet Hot ceramic coating helps with apperance, so it's not a major rust bucket. Helps with heat too. Mud slowly bakes into it as a tan mud puddle type color. I bought a cover for it in these colors with mesh.
168277696_1409538939410737_7848046761656872472_n.jpg

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm going to check with the dealer here in town (Ann Arbor, MI) - since I bought in in VA and live in MI but bought the 3 year extended wty. If local dealer say it is void, I am cancelling the wty policy

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hope that is right. In my experience, what a typical dealer tells me is about 60%-70% true. I could see a lean tune destroying an engine in short order. I should be talking with my dealer we have done business with for 20something years in a week or so. A guy I trust, I'll get his take.
So the plot thickens and my local dealer said it would void the warranty with a tune or exhaust. The dealer I purchased from in Vienna, VA confirmed a 2nd time it would NOT void the warranty. So I ended up cancelling my 3 year extended WTY. I could always return the ECU to stock if I had issues before I brought it in for service, but I can use the $1500 for accessories instead! Yep - a lean fuel/air mix is bad for sure! Yet a lot of motorcycles ship lean from the factory to meet emissions.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I'm curious of the Dynojet PV3 leaves any trace of being installed if it is replaced with the stock tune after the initial installation. I had a similar set up on my Ford PSD and it would read the stock program, upload it, and install a tune. It was simple to reverse the process leaving no trace. At this point the KRX for me is OK powerwise so I'm gonna sit back and watch this develop.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I was told it leaves a file behind like a license file which links it to your particular ECU - that the dealer can find. I think there is a way to delete the file manually if you know how - at least on some tuners.

·
Premium Member
2020 KRX
707 Posts
I'm curious of the Dynojet PV3 leaves any trace of being installed if it is replaced with the stock tune after the initial installation. I had a similar set up on my Ford PSD and it would read the stock program, upload it, and install a tune. It was simple to reverse the process leaving no trace. At this point the KRX for me is OK powerwise so I'm gonna sit back and watch this develop.
Give DynoJet a call, they’re really awesome people to talk to, and they’ll have a definitive answer for you.

Also, if you’re really concerned, just pick up a spare ECU. Keep your factory one clean and program the spare.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I was told it leaves a file behind like a license file which links it to your particular ECU - that the dealer can find. I think there is a way to delete the file manually if you know how - at least on some tuners.
Makes sense. If I was a mfg. I specify an ECU that would provide evidence 'tells" if it had been modified and returned to stock. Just to protect my interests on warranty issues. LOL...EPA federal register rules probably mandate it so they can catch tampering ecocriminals.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Also, if you’re really concerned, just pick up a spare ECU. Keep your factory one clean and program the spare.
In the case of a failure, wouldn't a service tech first access the ECU to see what was going on immediately prefailure? A swapped ECU with normal data indicating a run than a shut off would be pretty suspicious to me.

·
Premium Member
2020 KRX
707 Posts
In the case of a failure, wouldn't a service tech first access the ECU to see what was going on immediately prefailure? A swapped ECU with normal data indicating a run than a shut off would be pretty suspicious to me.
I’ve got an email out to DynoJet regarding this. I’ll post up the response I get.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I’ve got an email out to DynoJet regarding this. I’ll post up the response I get.

Very cool! Thank you. This isn't a super hi priority buy for me at the moment, but it certainly would be down the line. Even if it was just to monitor and clear codes. But, and it's a big one....a few extra HP isn't even worth voiding a warranty from my viewpoint if it compromises the ECU with a tampered code. If I'm going that route, it would be a boosted solution or a complete thrash car like an RS-1. Which, I came very close to getting in lieu of the KRX.

·
Premium Member
2020 KRX
707 Posts
So here is there response to my questions regarding the tune leaving a “file” behind that the dealership can see, should we need warranty repair........

Hi Rob,

The only time you would run into trouble is if you did NOT flash the STK file back to the vehicle when you bring it in for service/warranty work. As long as you flash back to stock before going to the dealer you will be fine. All the KRX's we support with the PV3 are 20-21 models so pretty much every single one is under warranty and I haven't seen a single case where this is has ever been an issue.

Powersports Technical Support
Dynojet Research, Inc.
Free: (800)992-4993

·
Registered
72 Posts
Maybe it is at your own dealer. They’ll void anything around here that’s not stock and pin it as what caused the problem.
i hear things like this and i always thought the warranty is through Kawasaki, and they have to ok the work? If you follow what went on with the knuckle upgrades, you will scratch your head. A lot of dealers had no clue that there were upgraded knuckles. And had to be led by their noses to call kawi and get the work started. If you bought the kpp warranty, your dealer isn’t the authority on it. They may give you schit, but most dealers are worthless anyway. It’s Kawasaki corporate that has been stellar on taking care of krx owners.

·
Registered
2020 Green KRX
624 Posts
i hear things like this and i always thought the warranty is through Kawasaki, and they have to ok the work? If you follow what went on with the knuckle upgrades, you will scratch your head. A lot of dealers had no clue that there were upgraded knuckles. And had to be led by their noses to call kawi and get the work started. If you bought the kpp warranty, your dealer isn’t the authority on it. They may give you schit, but most dealers are worthless anyway. It’s Kawasaki corporate that has been stellar on taking care of krx owners.
Yea in a previous post I mentioned that service managers were really the only ones that new what was going on. It is the dealers responsibility to diagnose and see what caused the issue. But because customer pay pays them more than Kawasaki warranty will, that is why they’ll pin it on any aftermarket part that “caused” the issue.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Kawasaki KRX
856 Posts
Anytime you do any tune, in any vehicle, it will show up if the ECU is checked. It will show that something was done, even if it can't tell what it was. That's all some need to know to reject any warranty claim.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Give DynoJet a call, they’re really awesome people to talk to, and they’ll have a definitive answer for you.

Thats a dead giveaway your hiding something. The dash and ECM will not match.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts