Kawasaki KRX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2021 KRX Blue
477 Posts
As well built as the KRX is I wouldn’t hesitate to limp back to camp.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I would ONLY run it on the front if needed and keep it in 2wd unless stuck and then use 4wd NO DIFF LOCK on the front to get out of a jamb and then back to 2wd. If you REALLY want to get down and dirty, tires are NEVER true to size and that small of a difference should not be an issue. BUT, I stopped carrying a spare on the rig after I went with Amerseal tire foam sealant. It resolves MOST of the issues on the trail except a HUGE sidewall slice and I have a plug kit for that if needed. Spare is back at the trailer/camp if needed. Just a thought. and No, I am not endorsing that product, it is just what I grabbed at a local shop, I am sure there are many others out there, but its the concept I was shooting for.

·
Registered
2021 KRX Blue
477 Posts
Look guys the question - as I understand it - is can I use a different size tire to limp home. My answer is yes.

The alternative is to drive on the flat tire which will eventually become just the rim. So now think about driving on a 1-2” smaller tire to get back to camp.

Everyone has valid points about using 4wd and diff lock. But if my machine has a flat and I’ve no spare - or a smaller spare - I’m going to limp it back to camp.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Kawasaki KRX
1,463 Posts
I would ONLY run it on the front if needed and keep it in 2wd unless stuck and then use 4wd NO DIFF LOCK on the front to get out of a jamb and then back to 2wd. If you REALLY want to get down and dirty, tires are NEVER true to size and that small of a difference should not be an issue. BUT, I stopped carrying a spare on the rig after I went with Amerseal tire foam sealant. It resolves MOST of the issues on the trail except a HUGE sidewall slice and I have a plug kit for that if needed. Spare is back at the trailer/camp if needed. Just a thought. and No, I am not endorsing that product, it is just what I grabbed at a local shop, I am sure there are many others out there, but its the concept I was shooting for.
There is actually a large size difference between the OEM "31 lnch" and the true 32 inch BFG KM3. Regardless, what you say is true. Get the small tire on the front only.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just joined the forum today since a KRX will likely be my next purchase. I have been discussing this exact topic with people for years now and wanted to offer some food for thought. I agree that if you do need to run 1 tire of a different size you should try to put it on the front and take it easy, avoiding pavement as much as possible. That said, putting it on the back might not be as big an issue as you might think.

Consider that the KRX has a turning radius of about 20 feet and the distance between the centers of the rear tires is about 5 feet. If you drive in a tight circle the inside wheel will moving along a turning radius of 20 feet, but the outside wheel will be moving along a turning radius of 25 feet. If you do the math, the inside tire is making a circle about 125 feet around, while the outside tire is moving about 157 feet around, or about 25% farther. The KRX is designed to take this stress because the tires will slip, even on pavement. The circumference of 32" tires is about 100" while the circumference of 30" tires is about 94". This is only a 6% difference and the KRX should be able to handle that too, even on the rear.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Kawasaki KRX
1,463 Posts
I just joined the forum today since a KRX will likely be my next purchase. I have been discussing this exact topic with people for years now and wanted to offer some food for thought. I agree that if you do need to run 1 tire of a different size you should try to put it on the front and take it easy, avoiding pavement as much as possible. That said, putting it on the back might not be as big an issue as you might think.

Consider that the KRX has a turning radius of about 20 feet and the distance between the centers of the rear tires is about 5 feet. If you drive in a tight circle the inside wheel will moving along a turning radius of 20 feet, but the outside wheel will be moving along a turning radius of 25 feet. If you do the math, the inside tire is making a circle about 125 feet around, while the outside tire is moving about 157 feet around, or about 25% farther. The KRX is designed to take this stress because the tires will slip, even on pavement. The circumference of 32" tires is about 100" while the circumference of 30" tires is about 94". This is only a 6% difference and the KRX should be able to handle that too, even on the rear.
Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
2021 KRX Blue
477 Posts
Great first post dude! 😁

Sounds like I’ll make it back even if I’m on the rim.

• Haha
Reactions: BobX2
1 - 13 of 13 Posts