Kawasaki KRX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, I just replaced my front and rear pads, bled all 4 the old fashioned way.....the pedal feels good, not spongy. My issue is this, I drive down the street about 20mph and I slam on the brakes, it doesn't lock up. It takes a little bit for it to stop. I'm running 35's so I"m not sure if this is normal or not. I know it sounds stupid, but I don't ever remember actually locking up the brakes before I changed them, so maybe this is normal. I just feel like if I slammed the brake pedal down, it should lock up completely. Am I wrong in assuming this and chasing something that's not a problem?? I did put sintered pads on this time and not the OEM ones. Could that be the issue? I've read about "bedding the pads" so I'm going to try that. Any advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2021 KRX SE
245 Posts
Ok guys, I just replaced my front and rear pads, bled all 4 the old fashioned way.....the pedal feels good, not spongy. My issue is this, I drive down the street about 20mph and I slam on the brakes, it doesn't lock up. It takes a little bit for it to stop. I'm running 35's so I"m not sure if this is normal or not. I know it sounds stupid, but I don't ever remember actually locking up the brakes before I changed them, so maybe this is normal. I just feel like if I slammed the brake pedal down, it should lock up completely. Am I wrong in assuming this and chasing something that's not a problem?? I did put sintered pads on this time and not the OEM ones. Could that be the issue? I've read about "bedding the pads" so I'm going to try that. Any advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Although I've never tried locking them up on the street, Im gonna say pretty positively mine will not lock up an skid the tires on pavement.

·
Registered
2021 KRX SE
245 Posts
And even tho I've never had a problem stopping when I needed too, imo the krx does not have an over abundance of stopping power by no means.. Some guys on here I've read are actually trying to put bigger brakes on there machines.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Kawasaki KRX
1,400 Posts
You shouldn't do that to brand new pads. Like most everything else, they need a little "break in" period. This goes for cars, trucks, and toys. Big tires also don't help.

·
Registered
2021 Blue KRX
52 Posts
The pads need to be embedded into the rotors to last the longest and work the best. But, I agree, cannot lockup the tires on my KRX either.

Reactions: TripleB

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The pads need to be embedded into the rotors to last the longest and work the best. But, I agree, cannot lockup the tires on my KRX either.
ok, good to know! I wasn't sure since I had never tried to lock them up before. just tried it this time since I had replaced all pads and wanted to make sure I could stop quickly if needed..lol

·
Super Moderator
2020 Green KRX
1,282 Posts
Pads and rotors need time to bed and break in. 35” tires will lower your stopping power. I’ve locked up my brakes once from 50mph on a dirt road. Cow decided at the last moment that she was gonna cross the road. Came within a couple feet of hitting her.

·
Registered
2021 KRX SE
245 Posts
Pads and rotors need time to bed and break in. 35” tires will lower your stopping power. I’ve locked up my brakes once from 50mph on a dirt road. Cow decided at the last moment that she was gonna cross the road. Came within a couple feet of hitting her.
Boy that would make a person sheet there pants!

·
Registered
66 Posts
I always go real slow anywhere there are cattle, can’t ever predict what they’ll do, and if you hurt or kill one you bought it, but I don’t go fast much anyway, not the reason I’m in this hobby, tire size will change all kinds of things including braking, 35” tires are huge for a SxS, and I doubt Kawasaki made provisions for that kind of tire or weight.

·
Registered
2021 KRX Blue
427 Posts
It appears Kawasaki factory parts kinda handle 35” tires with total wheel weights around 70 pounds each. Just my opinion for the way I ride, 1200 miles so far on big heavy tires. I have changed rear pads at 1000 miles but I had several people I WONT NAME NAMES accidentally move with the parking brake on. Could have been Paul65.

I cannot lock the wheels with these brakes. I wished I’d tried with the stock tires.

·
Premium Member
2020 KRX
1,209 Posts
It appears Kawasaki factory parts kinda handle 35” tires with total wheel weights around 70 pounds each. Just my opinion for the way I ride, 1200 miles so far on big heavy tires. I have changed rear pads at 1000 miles but I had several people I WONT NAME NAMES accidentally move with the parking brake on. Could have been Paul65.

I cannot lock the wheels with these brakes. I wished I’d tried with the stock tires.
Paul, are you saying you CANT lock the rear wheels with the parking brake engaged? If that’s correct, you may have stretched the cable out, and you’ll have to adjust it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts