Kawasaki KRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 KRX
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here’s a good video from ST on upgrading your brakes when going bigger on tires, and adding weight to the machine.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My brake pedal is really spongy and near the floor before stopping. Running 35’s, bumpers, nurf bars, winch... a couple hundred pounds?? Already looking for aftermarket rotors, can’t find any. If anyone has found any, post it. Thanks
Don’t want to hit anyone head-on in a blind curve because I can’t stop fast enough...

·
Registered
156 Posts
Chaka and I had this talk the other day... so I tried it a few days ago. My back field wasn’t wet... but it was “moist”. You could walk across without getting your feet muddy but there sure wasn’t going to be any dust either. At 55 mph I could lock it up within maybe 10’ and slide until it stopped. I’m running 35” K9’s. 1300 miles and original brake pads.
I say this... because I suspect some here would benefit form bleeding their brakes before throwing money at rotors and lines. I’ll try it again on the blacktop and see if I get the same results... but for normal trail conditions I think the machine adequately handles braking with the 35’s just fine. Annnnnd I like to go fast... so mine are prolly getting a harder workout than most.
67D582DC-C176-4FD1-B866-840370D03E1F.jpeg

·
Registered
25 Posts
Chaka and I had this talk the other day... so I tried it a few days ago. My back field wasn’t wet... but it was “moist”. You could walk across without getting your feet muddy but there sure wasn’t going to be any dust either. At 55 mph I could lock it up within maybe 10’ and slide until it stopped. I’m running 35” K9’s. 1300 miles and original brake pads.
I say this... because I suspect some here would benefit form bleeding their brakes before throwing money at rotors and lines. I’ll try it again on the blacktop and see if I get the same results... but for normal trail conditions I think the machine adequately handles braking with the 35’s just fine. Annnnnd I like to go fast... so mine are prolly getting a harder workout than most.
View attachment 1333
Thanks JTW.. will try bleeding the brakes. I have sent emails to Streamline and EBC concerning larger rotors for the KRX. I have had no responses back from either of them. Still looking for larger rotors as an option.

·
Registered
263 Posts
This "spongy" symptom can be a real pain to pinpoint but generally means air in system.. but here is where I would start before throwing parts at it..
Look the entire system over for any leaks, dark spots, hoses or damage. start at the master and work down line, check master linkage makes sure it re-leaves (small amount of freeplay to linkage) and check the output psi and if the pedal sinks at all with no leaks found replace master .. pull all the wheels n check for uneven wear burnt warped or scarring.. on one wheel and not the rest.. bleed furthest one to nearest (per Kawasaki service manual) if you pull air from one and not the rest double check that caliper, hoses and connections again.. you most likely will find it.. keep us posted!

·
Registered
25 Posts
This "spongy" symptom can be a real pain to pinpoint but generally means air in system.. but here is where I would start before throwing parts at it..
Look the entire system over for any leaks, dark spots, hoses or damage. start at the master and work down line, check master linkage makes sure it re-leaves (small amount of freeplay to linkage) and check the output psi and if the pedal sinks at all with no leaks found replace master .. pull all the wheels n check for uneven wear burnt warped or scarring.. on one wheel and not the rest.. bleed furthest one to nearest (per Kawasaki service manual) if you pull air from one and not the rest double check that caliper, hoses and connections again.. you most likely will find it.. keep us posted!
Thanks for all the Great Info... have performed a few brake jobs in the past. Have a Bleeder Kit somewhere in the garage. That is if my son hasn't borrowed it.🤣
Only 112 miles on bike, brakes have been sluggish since day 1. Have talked to Dealer Service Manager on phone, he suggested bringing it in for them to look at.
I'm dead in the water right now.. Sent ECU to VFORCEJOHN 17 days ago. He hasn't received it, I'm afraid it may be lost in the mail. A more important issue to deal with. I will need to take care of my misplaced package with the Postal Service first, than get back to my brakes. Happy Holidays!!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Well, at least you probably had insurance on it... oh wait... you can’t get parts for anything right now so that prolly won’t do you any good either. I’ve got several packages that are “running late” with usps. But yeah, we need more government efficiency. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
241 Posts
My brakes are nice and tight and lock up real good. Definitely worth bleeding first. I am running 35s as well.

One of the first things I did after mounting the 35s was test the braking out. Works great.

·
Registered
39 Posts
It's also worth noting that with only 112 miles the brakes will get better. They need to seat in. Look up an article on bedding or burnishing brakes to speed up the process.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I personally have had nothing but issues with the brakes on the KRX. I love my machine, but I eat through pads in about 600 miles, every time. I've got just over 2200 miles now and I'm on my 3rd set of pads, which are almost gone and about ready to be replaced. I asked the dealer about it and they told me it was normal...I think they're crazy. Dealer wants almost $900 to replace the pads on this machine, I end up doing it myself for about $200 and a few beers. I do all my riding at Windrock and would love to know if anyone else has brake Issues

·
Registered
156 Posts
I personally have had nothing but issues with the brakes on the KRX. I love my machine, but I eat through pads in about 600 miles, every time. I've got just over 2200 miles now and I'm on my 3rd set of pads, which are almost gone and about ready to be replaced. I asked the dealer about it and they told me it was normal...I think they're crazy. Dealer wants almost $900 to replace the pads on this machine, I end up doing it myself for about $200 and a few beers. I do all my riding at Windrock and would love to know if anyone else has brake Issues
1400 miles and still on originals. I’m guessing I’m about 1/2 through them.

·
Registered
2020 Green KRX
452 Posts
Thanks JTW.. will try bleeding the brakes. I have sent emails to Streamline and EBC concerning larger rotors for the KRX. I have had no responses back from either of them. Still looking for larger rotors as an option.
I worked with a company many years ago on developing pads and rotors on a Maserati MC12 since the “challenge” parts were discontinued. The name of their company is called Girodisc. I’ll reach out also and see if they are able to develop or make something. They require the disc rotor, pad and caliper to be shipped to them for measuring purposes.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Ride a lot of mud? Mud/dirt packed in the pads can wear them quick

·
Registered
25 Posts
Coming from a Polaris G2 with 30” tires, replaced the pads at 1400 miles. The rear caliper was sticking And wore down right rear pads. But it would stop on a dime and give you 5c back.
My kawa only has 120 miles and I can stop faster by dragging my feet instead of using the brake pedal. Might have to start using the e-brake! Haven’t bleed the brakes yet, been busy making it go faster!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Coming from a Polaris G2 with 30” tires, replaced the pads at 1400 miles. The rear caliper was sticking And wore down right rear pads. But it would stop on a dime and give you 5c back.
My kawa only has 120 miles and I can stop faster by dragging my feet instead of using the brake pedal. Might have to start using the e-brake! Haven’t bleed the brakes yet, been busy making it go faster!
Kinda pointless to go fast if you can’t stop!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts