Kawasaki KRX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2021 KRX 1000
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I was grinding down a very long hill last weekend the thought occurred to me that I have no idea how long brake pads should last on our machines. While they do not seem to live a life that heat would be an issue, all of the grit and grime has to take its toll on them I would imagine.

Anyone have to change theirs yet or have any guidance?

·
Registered
2021 KRX SE
169 Posts
As I was grinding down a very long hill last weekend the thought occurred to me that I have no idea how long brake pads should last on our machines. While they do not seem to live a life that heat would be an issue, all of the grit and grime has to take its toll on them I would imagine.

Anyone have to change theirs yet or have any guidance?
I got 800 miles out of the rear pads but they were gone. The front still had a little life left at that time.

·
Registered
2021 KRX SE
169 Posts
I should probably clarify, everyone's "gone" might be different. Mine were not metal to metal yet but they were close.

·
Registered
894 Posts
They're not that thick to begin with......something to keep your eye on. I don't do mud, which would wear on them more than dusty trail rides or rock crawling.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Kawasaki KRX
1,237 Posts
Brakes??? Don't need no stink'n brakes... They just slow you down. :LOL:

·
Registered
2021 KRX 1000 blue tons of options
590 Posts
It varies so much depending on your riding style and where you ride. All the gritty mud out east here and I’ll be shocked if I get 500 miles out of a set.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Green KRX
1,132 Posts
They’re ready to be replaced at 2mm. Factory pad prices are insane. And kawi wants to sell you per side instead of a set. Tusk makes a great thick pad replacement. Going this route when it’s time.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Most people naturally want to ride the brakes anytime they're going downhill. But the engine braking in this machine is so good that the pads SHOULD last much longer than comparable machines. Once you can get used to letting the engine do the work, you don't have to use the brakes much at all. I have a Toyota buggy with dual transfer cases, so I'm used to hardly ever using the brakes. 600 miles on our KRX with mostly tight woods riding and lots of hills, and the pads are probably about 50%.

·
Registered
2021 KRX Blue
352 Posts
Put mine on a 4-post lift this morning to rotate tires. Brakes have a little left in them at 890 miles but I'm ordering a full set of pads. Tusk is out of them. I found EPI pads at Full Access UTV.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts