Kawasaki KRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2021 KRX
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be mounting a set of 32" KM3 soon and need to know if the stock bead lock bolts are going to work. I see in other post that the 35" KM3 require longer bolts. Is this the case with the 32" too ?

·
Super Moderator
2020 Kawasaki KRX
1,467 Posts
Can't say for certain, but I bet the bead is the exact same on both tire sizes. However, I don't know that you need a complete replacement set of bolts. I would bet that if you had 6-8 longer bolts, that would be enough to get the lock ring on and compress the bead enough to use the OEM bolts. Replace the long bolts with the OEM's when you get the other OEM bolts started and torqued to the first torque value. The bead compresses way more than you would think it would when you start torqueing the bolts.
The bolts on my Tusk wheels were long enough to mount my 32" KM3's with no problem.

·
Registered
13 Posts
They work...but are tough to get started as bead lip is thick. Torque in 2 stages 15 ft/# then to 42. Use anti seize and be patient starting the bolts. Tire compound is soft and you will see the bead squish after 1st pass. DON"T CROSS THREAD. Just did aset of 5 last week on stock rims.

·
Registered
2021 KRX
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They work...but are tough to get started as bead lip is thick. Torque in 2 stages 15 ft/# then to 42. Use anti seize and be patient starting the bolts. Tire compound is soft and you will see the bead squish after 1st pass. DON"T CROSS THREAD. Just did aset of 5 last week on stock rims.
Thanks I ordered some of the longer bolts and will use them to get started and then use my factory bolts . Thanks for the info

·
Registered
46 Posts
I just mounted 5 of the KM3's two weeks ago. 4 with no problem just using stock bolts but 5th one I had to go to the hardware store and get 4 bolts that were 1/4" longer to get them started. Whole process went pretty smooth.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I think different wheels line up different. On mine some of the tap holes were shallow and others were deeper. Must have been a Tuesday after a holiday or a 4pm Friday deal. When you really start to pull these things apart it can piss you off on some of the crap that is “good enough ship it” mentality. The tire rack it pure junk. But if they spent 10 more dollars on the design it would be perfect. The wheels are the same great idea but they are not as tuff as they look. Low psi on after market wheels don’t bend the rims quite as easy but these ones bring a hammer on the trail jic.

·
Registered
84 Posts
When I dumped my Carnivores and had the 32" KM3's mounted, my tire shop reused the stock bolts and never mentioned having an issue.

·
Registered
2021 KRX1000 BLUE
176 Posts
Watch out when having tires mounted on beadlocks at a shop other then the kawi dealer as they are not insured to do beadlocks and they dont warranty their work because its an off road only thing in most states. I had a shop do mine in cali and they completely screwed up and i lost a ring because the bolts blew out. My tire wheel combo needed a lock ring spacer and it wasnt used so to much pressure was applied laterally to the bolts and the heads sheared off leaving me with a new $100 lock ring to buy, 16 drills bits, 2 bolt extractor kits, and a couple of 12hour days of rage maintenance. I wont name national chain off road shop but i will never go there again.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Kawasaki KRX
1,467 Posts
Watch out when having tires mounted on beadlocks at a shop other then the kawi dealer as they are not insured to do beadlocks and they dont warranty their work because its an off road only thing in most states. I had a shop do mine in cali and they completely screwed up and i lost a ring because the bolts blew out. My tire wheel combo needed a lock ring spacer and it wasnt used so to much pressure was applied laterally to the bolts and the heads sheared off leaving me with a new $100 lock ring to buy, 16 drills bits, 2 bolt extractor kits, and a couple of 12hour days of rage maintenance. I wont name national chain off road shop but i will never go there again.
I don't even know what a lock ring spacer is... lol

·
Registered
Las Vegas, NV
118 Posts
I don't even know what a lock ring spacer is... lol
I never heard of them either. But they do exist.

They look like to be wheel specific. Not sure if there is any for the stock wheels.

Reactions: BobX2

·
Registered
2021 KRX1000 BLUE
176 Posts
Some wheels have a deep bead channel to accommodate the larger beads but wheels like Method need spacers when you start going to bigger tires. If you have to use more than light pressure to start a lock ring bolt then you need a spacer. If the lock ring doesn't make unstressed contact with the wheel then ya need a spacer. It is the height of the bead lock channel and the friction from the lock ring that keeps the tire from coming off the wheel. Milestar Pategonias come with the thickest bead I have seen on an M/T LT and they don't fit most bead locks. Spacers are like wheel bolt patterns just have to find the right ones to fit or you can find blanks to drill out. I just found some. I won't even consider a wheel if they don't make spacers for them or if I cant find a company that makes them for that wheel. Anyone know our stock wheel manufacturer???

·
Registered
2021 KRX Blue
477 Posts
This is confusing. I’m missing something. The problem is the bead is thick so you have to press really hard to start the bolt. So you then add a spacer?

·
Registered
2021 KRX1000 BLUE
176 Posts
The spacer is a thinner version of the lockring. It is meant to make the bead channel on you bead locks a little wider so uour bolts and lock ring are not stressed out. As we go bigger in tires there are going to be more manufacturers that have some thick tire beads that will not fit into, say Method beadlocks with out a lot of pressure. You should be able to start a lockring bolt without pushing on the lockring much if at all. Most people will say use longer bolts, WRONG! Use an 8mm to 15mm lockring spacer and then use bolts that are 8mm to 15mm longer then original bolts. Its all fun in games until you start popping bolt heads off and then your lock ring comes flying off along with your tire going around a corner at 35mph. This is a new issue to the SXS community but an old one for us rock crawlers, jeepers, and prerunners. The added speed, weight, and tire size of our rides is going to start to show issues that some UTV users have never seen before.

·
Registered
2014 T2 SE, 2021 KRX 1000 TE
102 Posts
reno464, you just mentioned the Milestar Pategonias and I am considering them as a replacement tire. You mentioned finding some beadlock spacers. I assume they are blank. Can you reveal the source?

·
Super Moderator
2020 Kawasaki KRX
1,467 Posts
This is confusing. I’m missing something. The problem is the bead is thick so you have to press really hard to start the bolt. So you then add a spacer?
LOL I'm right there with you. I don't doubt that this is a real "thing", but I'm not understanding the concept at all. Fortunately I had zero issues mounting my KM3's on my Tusk beadlocks. No problems with the bolts being too short and, there are four more bolts on the Tusk wheels than on the OEM wheels. 20 beadlock bolts on the Tusk vs 16 on the OEM. More is better when it comes to beadlocks.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Kawasaki KRX
1,467 Posts
Ahhhhh, okay. Now I understand what you were talking about. (y)
A picture is worth a thousand words.

·
Registered
2021 KRX1000 BLUE
176 Posts
I dont know why i didnt just lead with that video...lol. I doubt most of us will ever need them unless LT are used or Method wheels with 35inch tires. Method wheels tend to have a narrow channel in my experience using them on my Jeep/fj80/Sequoia.

·
Registered
2021 KRX Blue
477 Posts
Got it!

The spacer supports the inside diameter of the lock ring. Without the spacer, and a thick tire bead, all the stress is on the outside of the lock ring - and on that side of the bolts.

You may need longer bolts with the spacer(s).

·
Registered
2021 KRX1000 BLUE
176 Posts
What ever size spacer is used is how much more bolt length is needed. 15mm spacer needs a 15mm longer bolt. And when i have needed to longer i go to Fasnal and get the right hardware not homedepot or lowes.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts