Kawasaki KRX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The AZPT is a system of trails in Arizona that stretches from Yuma in the south to Kingman in the north. Their website is Arizona Peace Trail and contains a ton of resources including gps tracks for one to follow.

Day 1. Bouse to Lake Havasu. This was ~90 miles. A friend lives in Bouse so it was the logical place to start. Some wide open high speed roads to start. No gas along this stretch. A stop at the Founders Cabin is a must, good place for lunch (no services). We stay at the Quality Inn.

Day 2. Lake Havasu to Kingman. ~130 miles. Leave Quality Inn on paved roads. No one bothers you.. locals are all over down there.Out skirts of town start dirt trails and washes. Great vistas of the lake and colorful mountains. Cross over I40 then along an old railroad track. Come into Golden Shores, get gas if needed. Run the old Route 66 highway for ~10 miles then along a powerline trail. Next stop Oatman. Great spot for lunch and a visit with the local donkeys that freely roam the town. Leave town and on combination of dirt roads leading to trails that skirt along wilderness. Great vistas.We took a detour into Secret Pass. After some playing we headed into Kingman staying at the Rodeway Inn. Great steak dinner at Dambar Steakhouse a short 1/2 mile walk (or ride your SxS)

Day 3. Kingman to Weikiup. ~90 miles. Gas up after leaving hotel. Turn onto powerline road (we took the Winter Bypass route). Combination of dirt roads and trails. Turned onto a crossover trail towards main trail. Nice rock climbs and the old Gold Mine. Continued onto main trail. Great vistas. Stopped at old mine that has natural springs and gold fish! Go figure. More trails and dirt roadsin to weikiup. Good food st the Weikiup Trading post and motel.

Day 4 - Weikiup to Salome~90 if able to cross at Browns crossing else ~130 miles for bypass. Great trails with more colors, cactus and vistas. Many old mines along the way. Stayed at the stafford motel. Great restaurant onsite. Get gas in town, 87 octane only. Dinner and great Breakfast onsite.

Day 5. Salome to Yuma. Long day ~160 miles, no gas along the way. Strat off on decent dirt road then onto fast dirt roads. Need to keep moving along if one wants to get in before dark (we do this trek in early December). Old war monument along the way. As one gets closer to Yuma we must share the dirt roads with the local farms. Lots of lettuce grown here. Final short stretch on paved roads. Stay at Comfort Inn. We at Applebees on the other side of highway. Ok to drive sxs on paved roads.

Day 6. Yuma to Bouse. ~160 miles. Leave town we came in then veer off onto a fantastic ridge top trail. And I mean ridge top. The ridge is just wide enough for a SxS drop offs on both sides. Next pass thru a nature preserve. Then thru the military Yuma Proving grounds. Warning signs along trail.. stay on trail! pass by, stop if they are open, the Red Cloud mine. They mine beautiful rocks. The miner lives to talk about the mine. Highly recommend stopping. Next ride thru another preserve. Mire great vistas. Afterwards its the Good the Bad and the Ugly. Great wash turns rocky climbs. Love it! Gas up in Quartzsite then final stretch to Bouse b

Total trip this year (its our third year) was 766 miles. We look forward to our trek in December 2021on the Arizona Peace Trail.

Machines on this trek - My Krx, 3 Polaris XP 1000s, and one Polaris Turbo.

Mechanical issues- the Turbo has two sidewall flats, 2 of the Xps had 3 flats with one a sidewall that need two plugs in one cut and 3 in the other (that was day two and the tire back the rest if the trip). Sadly the KRX did not make the last day as the right rear shock ended up with an oil leak (heated up by exhaust muffler after 60mph long stretch???)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

the KRX (I really like the machine. Can’t wait to get the ecu tuned. VFJ how about we trade a tune for some advertising on our signs we do for our trek. Looking for sponsors. 😎

·
Registered
154 Posts
So what was the riding like? Is it mostly dirt roads and less technical type riding?

Also, the VFJ tune and gutting the cat will help with that heat issue on the shock reservoir

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thank you for taking the time to post. I'm doing this ride for the first time in February . Do you reccomend making reservations beforehand?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Some of these look like good day trips for people who can't do the whole APT at once. I'm interested in Kingman to Wikieup. It looks like there's gas stations in Wikieup too. I also would like to do Bouse to Havasu.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you for taking the time to post. I'm doing this ride for the first time in February . Do you reccomend making reservations beforehand?
Absolutely!

Wikiup Trading Post only has 4 rooms. One is a two bedroom unit, two have a queen bed and the last one has three twins.

Salome best to stay at Stafford Inn. Good restaurant on site.

All others you can use booking.com and this allows for free cancellation.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Some of these look like good day trips for people who can't do the whole APT at once. I'm interested in Kingman to Wikieup. It looks like there's gas stations in Wikieup too. I also would like to do Bouse to Havasu.
Yes day rides work. Also partial loops work as there are several short cuts, for example Bouse to Salome.

Check out their resources and download the gps tracks. You will see what I’m talking about.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts