Kawasaki KRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When reading AZ OHV law to get a permit to use public roads for a UTV the unladen wt. needs to be below 1800 lbs. The KRX is listed as over this limit....will this be a problem?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You got the off road registration with occasional on road use designation? Iam also going to register in Mohave County. I am new to this madness...can you still get to Secret pass/ narrows via Bullhead city?

·
Registered
99 Posts
My registration has on and off-road use. I live on the Littlefield/Mesquite border and haven't ridden yet. I've been told of a a ride to Beaver Dam, and one starting in Scenic, coming back through The Elbows, I can do either without trailering. I would like to hear about other rides, trailer or not.

I did see 1800 lbs or less on the registration paperwork, the DMV guy checked that box, I didn't argue.

·
Premium Member
2020 KRX
1,209 Posts
I registered mine in Yavapai no problem. You basically get a motorcycle registration, then you apply for the off road sticker. You can do everything on the AZmvdnow.gov website. You may have to call the MVD to have them upload the sign off sheet that you have added the equipment that makes it street legal. (Horn, rear view mirror, and lighted license plate holder)

·
Registered
131 Posts
I registered mine in Yavapai no problem. You basically get a motorcycle registration, then you apply for the off road sticker. You can do everything on the AZmvdnow.gov website. You may have to call the MVD to have them upload the sign off sheet that you have added the equipment that makes it street legal. (Horn, rear view mirror, and lighted license plate holder)
You also need DOT rated tires. Our machines weight is in the ADOT computers at 1899 lbs. I know a lot of people are getting the cheaper plate but if they ever do an audit you could be responsible for the difference. It doesn't matter what the lady at ADOT marks for weight because you signed that form. The difference is over 300$. It shouldn't be that way but right now it is.
According to fish and Game you also need DOT rated tires. The KRX is listed in the ADOT computers at 1899 lbs. It doesn't matter what the lady at ADOT marked the weight under 1800 you signed that form. If the state ever does an audit you could be on the hook for a lot of money. The difference in price is about 320$.

·
Premium Member
2020 KRX
1,209 Posts
You also need DOT rated tires. Our machines weight is in the ADOT computers at 1899 lbs. I know a lot of people are getting the cheaper plate but if they ever do an audit you could be responsible for the difference. It doesn't matter what the lady at ADOT marks for weight because you signed that form. The difference is over 300$. It shouldn't be that way but right now it is.

According to fish and Game you also need DOT rated tires. The KRX is listed in the ADOT computers at 1899 lbs. It doesn't matter what the lady at ADOT marked the weight under 1800 you signed that form. If the state ever does an audit you could be on the hook for a lot of money. The difference in price is about 320$.
Not quite sure what your point is. But when I registered my machine, I marked the weight (Both off-road and on road) for what it actually is. I didn’t try to “cheat” the system anywhere. So let them audit away.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Yep. I'm in Gila county, and my KRX cost as much to register as a car, due to the weight. With these machines getting heavier and heavier, I am hoping MVD changes the rules.....in our favor.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Seems like lot of Az owners on here. Who lives in what areas? I'm east valley. It's be nice to get a ride together here and there. I know folks who own all sort and buggies, out on the trails love the KRX. I usually ride with can am turbo's and Rzr's and people constantly come up to ask questions about the KRX. It's an oem beast compared to the other offerings.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Seems like lot of Az owners on here. Who lives in what areas? I'm east valley. It's be nice to get a ride together here and there. I know folks who own all sort and buggies, out on the trails love the KRX. I usually ride with can am turbo's and Rzr's and people constantly come up to ask questions about the KRX. It's an oem beast compared to the other offerings.
Payson, here.

·
Registered
2020 Kawasaki KRX 1000
43 Posts
I'm in Tucson. Certainly willing to travel to different areas! Not many KRX's out here that I've seen lol As for the OHV tags on these machines, its pretty much impossible to register it for on road use because of the weight. Wife and I tried doing it and since it weighs over 1800lbs, they want to register it like a brand new vehicle and that registration would have been $500 bucks. Plus, the dealer we bought it from checked the box that it weighs over 1800. Nothing we can do.

·
Registered
333 Posts
is it possible to reweigh it at a truck stop scale that certified for DMV? Had this issue on my new chevy duelly. over 8k#'s unladen requires an estimated tax on gvw weight of truck and any trailer you maybe pulling at any time.. under 8k# unladen pull what ever you want with a non modified pickup bed... only in California !.. point being.. strip some weight off .. seats, bumpers, muffler, upper cage and run it through the scale.. be sure to get out and step off.. muffler alone may put you under... then take the cert to DMV and get your new registration.. Also does Arizona recognize a Nevada on road license? if so get an additional one there,,

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm in Tucson. Certainly willing to travel to different areas! Not many KRX's out here that I've seen lol As for the OHV tags on these machines, its pretty much impossible to register it for on road use because of the weight. Wife and I tried doing it and since it weighs over 1800lbs, they want to register it like a brand new vehicle and that registration would have been $500 bucks. Plus, the dealer we bought it from checked the box that it weighs over 1800. Nothing we can do.
Would that be one time $500, or expensive every year?

·
Registered
2020 Kawasaki KRX 1000
43 Posts
Would that be one time $500, or expensive every year?
The folks at the 3rd party DMV made it sound like it was an every year registration fee if you wanted to drive it occasionally on the road but primarily off road. It's because if it's weight. Since it's over the 1800lb threshold, they act like it's a legit vehicle rather than an off-road vehicle. It's bizarre.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts