Kawasaki KRX Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I looked long and hard at Giant loop products for my set up.

The larger sizes have a vinyl covering instead of nylon which , in my opinion, would require a dedicated storage platform where there would be zero chance of chafing or rubbing on a long ride.......design non starter right there for me.

The 5 gallon size which is 30"x 15" diameter is impossible to fit anywhere in my situation.

$300 for 5 gallons is pricy.

I'm guessing the UTV police will be looking at gas storage and transport much more closely in the
future and the GL product is definitely not approved for that use in the States.

The main disqualifier is the for "closed course racing use and non approved for normal transportation and storage" wording on their site......my insurance claims adjuster would be on that like a duck on a June bug if there was a fire related claim.

All that said, It looks to be a bad ass product. The truck running over it video says a lot. Wish Rotopax had a similar destructive type testing video. We're going a Rotopax direction with our fingers crossed.
I don't think anyone really likes the idea of carrying a fuel can in or on there rig..and generally only needed on certain long runs and you take them off.. you just do your best to keep them secure. but back on subject
I found out that the restaurant at Ticaboo has been and is closed, there is a convenient store 1.5 miles away or a restaurant in bull frog 11 miles away that's also closed.. the nearest large grocery is in Grand Junction 3hr drive.. but they have gas so gas is the least of the worries..

·
Registered
169 Posts
Dang.....that complicates things. The deal with my wife includes a room and restaurant. Having spent years on the road doing HVAC diagnostics in the past across the Western States in some very isolated places in the Great basin I got ice chest dining out of a hotel room down to an art. The better half doesn't approve of my menu taste in that department.. She is lobbying hard for Sand Hollow Resort with some of our richer friends for a spring trip. I prefer long trips thru nowhere USA over play type areas. First world problems :rolleyes: Thanks for the intel!

·
Premium Member
2020 KRX
394 Posts
my insurance claims adjuster would be on that like a duck on a June bug if there was a fire related claim.
That’s an excellent point. I didn’t even think about that. That’s why I love this forum, you miss something in your thoughts, someone else didn’t, and vise versus.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Kawasaki KRX
462 Posts
I've used Rotopax for years. (the green color kind of dates it) I used to carry it flat on the front of my atv in all weather conditions and altitudes. It would expand and swell up to at least half again it's normal size in the heat and at extreme altitude. It has never leaked a drop, nor has there ever even been a hint of gas fumes from it. It was right in front of my face, so I definitely would have known of ANY kind of leaking. I have zero issue with carrying gas with me when I ride if it is in a Rotopax. Still using the same one.

This shot shows how big it gets when hot.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have zero issue with carrying gas with me when I ride if it is in a Rotopax. Still using the same one.
Thanks for than input. I've been spoiled by my Honda which gets about 17 mpg, and never really goes too far from home base. Researching something as critical as fuel storage really brings out the negatives on any system. We have to transport a lot of fuel (diesel and gasoline) as we live off grid and are well aware of the ramifications of one mistake. Have a 4 gallon Rotopax showing up at the shop in town today, hopefully I'll get it here, filled, secured for some weekend testing. Since the COVID thing, the Feds gave been granted "emergency" cross permission for overlapping jurisdictional authority in our area. Most are very cool, there is this one fellow who delights in knowing every rule and enforcing to the letter (or perhaps a bit more). I'm sure he is up to date on every federal register decree on utv fuel storage and transport. Rotopax is bombproof in that department.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Dang.....that complicates things. The deal with my wife includes a room and restaurant. Having spent years on the road doing HVAC diagnostics in the past across the Western States in some very isolated places in the Great basin I got ice chest dining out of a hotel room down to an art. The better half doesn't approve of my menu taste in that department.. She is lobbying hard for Sand Hollow Resort with some of our richer friends for a spring trip. I prefer long trips thru nowhere USA over play type areas. First world problems :rolleyes: Thanks for the intel!
Yea.. looks like i'll have to bring my toy hauler along pack my plug in coolers and use it for a kitchen while my buddy enjoys his hotel room.. apparently the lodge has an outdoor grill to use so one could make it work for a few days.. no roughing it going on here!

·
Registered
169 Posts
The only alternate is to reserve one of the houses and cook there. Not even going to put the better half in that situation as she wants a break from her routine of cooking. Did the RV thing a lot many years back, we lived in one for our first winter here in CO.....while sledding to work. That was an interesting winter. Made a promise to my wife she would never have to spend another night in an RV after we sold our last one. My son takes his out every weekend he can during the summer, just watching his family get it ready and than cleaning it after the weekend makes me tired. :sleep: Still I personally kinda want one.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I found out that the restaurant at Ticaboo has been and is closed, there is a convenient store 1.5 miles away or a restaurant in bull frog 11 miles away that's also closed.. the nearest large grocery is in Grand Junction 3hr drive.. but they have gas so gas is the least of the worries..
Damn, I have the best wife ever. Told her about the above and she sat ther and rattled off an entire hotel menu she could make. If there is a microwave in the room, and a grill by the pool (she checked) we will eat well. I'm not going to let not having a restaurant deny us a cool ride. Back to planning.:)

·
Premium Member
2020 KRX
394 Posts
Damn, I have the best wife ever. Told her about the above and she sat ther and rattled off an entire hotel menu she could make. If there is a microwave in the room, and a grill by the pool (she checked) we will eat well. I'm not going to let not having a restaurant deny us a cool ride. Back to planning.:)
IT’S A TRAP, RUNNNNNN! 🤣🤣

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
congrats... man ill bring the beer!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Now to see if I can get my son and DIL on board ( less their kids). They really deserve a few days away during our sucky winter/spring transition weather.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts