Kawasaki KRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking into a trip this spring to Ticaboo Utah this spring.. Anyone been there? Best trails? Would you go back?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Just spent the last weekend looking into this area online . Several good You Tube videos out there on it. Supposedly an epic 90 mile ride is possible with a little bit of everything right from the Ticaboo Resort. All off street, petrified wood, fossils, slot canyons etc. Not crowded (yet) and perhaps more UTV friendly than places in Utah that begin with M. The question I came away with was will a KRX fit the the slot canyon ride?

·
Super Moderator
2020 Kawasaki KRX
484 Posts
Sounds like someplace I need to look into. If not the KRX, I could take the ATV's.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just spent the last weekend looking into this area online . Several good You Tube videos out there on it. Supposedly an epic 90 mile ride is possible with a little bit of everything right from the Ticaboo Resort. All off street, petrified wood, fossils, slot canyons etc. Not crowded (yet) and perhaps more UTV friendly than places in Utah that begin with M. The question I came away with was will a KRX fit the the slot canyon ride?
it does look tight.. After changing wheels to the Tusk beadlocks even though there only 7" I'm now at 72" wide.. the guy going with me has a 72" x3 so some of the points of interest maybe a get close and hike in thing!

·
Super Moderator
2020 Kawasaki KRX
484 Posts
it does look tight.. After changing wheels to the Tusk beadlocks even though there only 7" I'm now at 72" wide.. the guy going with me has a 72" x3 so some of the points of interest maybe a get close and hike in thing!
Be sure to let us know what you find out about trail width.

·
Registered
183 Posts
A long wheelbase rig to boot. IIRC the approach to that tight spot is short and open from some other video I watched. Sure would ne nice to have a do not exceed width number.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
spotted this video.. this club appears to pack on the ride miles.. I am hooked on the burr canyon video they did.. sounds like its accessible from base camp... with lots of extra gas and maybe a tent!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Watched every Ticaboo Video I could a few days ago. They are inspiring when it is -15 outside here.. ...😨. Only problem with them is a lack of KRX presence.

I've been pulling my hair out on figuring out how to carry auxiliary fuel for these longer rides. Note that I hate the thought of carrying extra fuel as a general rule. With the cost of fuel carrying systems for UTVS one could buy a race body sanctioned fuel cell for less.

Took a big step back on thinking thru fuel issues last week, I got a simpler Plan A incoming.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Kawasaki KRX
484 Posts
this is one of the tight spots Bob..
Looks pretty tight, but that also doesn't look like a stock width RZR. Looks like it's wider with different offset wheels, and it's a long 4 seater. Now I'm really getting curious about this place. Looks like a pretty awesome area.

·
Premium Member
2020 KRX
411 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Dude, be very careful with those mounting locations. God forbid you have a rollover on top of those cans. You always want to shoot for mounting gas containers inside the roll cage.
Point well taken. Everything is a risk/reward design trade off I guess. I have a similar mounting strategy in mind for my rig. I've looked at bladders, Fuel cells, Rotopax in my evaluation process. The design parameter of bed storage we nixed because of leakage and engine fire potential. There is simply no room inside the cage for a hard container of any size...the rear seat space is taken. In our case, past aviation experience seeing a lot of close calls, and some eat its in that field over not enough fuel has me paranoid on the fuel reserve issue for long rides. Fuel reserves are to be added and used as needed, emptied ASAP on a ride and generally treated as a fiery death detonator when riding. YMMV.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dude, be very careful with those mounting locations. God forbid you have a rollover on top of those cans. You always want to shoot for mounting gas containers inside the roll cage.
those cans are tough as hell.. I saw one drop off a jeep on the freeway hit and ran over by a semi and didn't split open or leak.. I appreciate the concern but that's where I want them!

·
Premium Member
2020 KRX
411 Posts
Point well taken. Everything is a risk/reward design trade off I guess. I have a similar mounting strategy in mind for my rig. I've looked at bladders, Fuel cells, Rotopax in my evaluation process. The design parameter of bed storage we nixed because of leakage and engine fire potential. There is simply no room inside the cage for a hard container of any size...the rear seat space is taken. In our case, past aviation experience seeing a lot of close calls, and some eat its in that field over not enough fuel has me paranoid on the fuel reserve issue for long rides. Fuel reserves are to be added and used as needed, emptied ASAP on a ride and generally treated as a fiery death detonator when riding. YMMV.
Somewhere on this forum a member mounted a rotopax behind his passenger seat. That’s the location I’ll be doing if and when I decide to start/need to carry extra fuel.

·
Premium Member
2020 KRX
411 Posts
Check out the gas bags
I like the design on those bags. The multi loop tie downs on them give a great way to secure it down. I’d like to see how easy they are to fill, vs spilling everywhere. 🤔

·
Registered
183 Posts
Check out the gas bags
I looked long and hard at Giant loop products for my set up.

The larger sizes have a vinyl covering instead of nylon which , in my opinion, would require a dedicated storage platform where there would be zero chance of chafing or rubbing on a long ride.......design non starter right there for me.

The 5 gallon size which is 30"x 15" diameter is impossible to fit anywhere in my situation.

$300 for 5 gallons is pricy.

I'm guessing the UTV police will be looking at gas storage and transport much more closely in the
future and the GL product is definitely not approved for that use in the States.

The main disqualifier is the for "closed course racing use and non approved for normal transportation and storage" wording on their site......my insurance claims adjuster would be on that like a duck on a June bug if there was a fire related claim.

All that said, It looks to be a bad ass product. The truck running over it video says a lot. Wish Rotopax had a similar destructive type testing video. We're going a Rotopax direction with our fingers crossed.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts