Kawasaki KRX Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
Las Vegas, NV
388 Posts
I tried a few options to ratchet the suspension down. First, I tried the basic spring compressor, one on each large spring. That didn't work so good, only got about a half inch or so of extra clearance. Then I tried some 2" ratchet straps, hooked from just above the shock, down around the swing arm. That worked great, got about a two inch drop.

If you have a premium KRX roof, that adds about 2.5-3" to your height.

Btw, these work great for a poor mans limit straps.:p

Reactions: Paul65

·
Registered
297 Posts
ugh, not an easy problem to solve.

FWIW: my KRX on 34" Terrabites, factory roof panel and with stock springs (that are a little sagged like they do) measures 77"-78" to the top of the roof line
my thoughts on this: there is no real safe way to pull down the rear suspension effectively to make this happen. any kind of ratchet strap to the rear suspension and body is gonna be a Darwin moment waiting to happen- as that is a whole lotta stored energy waiting to uleash itself..... that spring compressor idea works great until you hit a big bump and the springs compress far enough to unload the compressor then 'oops', then $$$ fixing the damage- those kind of spring compressors aren't meant for a "dynamic" load like that- they're only meant for a 'motionless' spring hold while changing a strut..... suspension springs are no joke, I've been privy to when other guys in my shop didn't mount a strut in the spring compressor correctly and all hell broke loose when it came free. keep in mind this: I tie mine down using tire bonnet hold downs (the preferred way when tying down our rigs because of their tremendous amount of suspension travel can break straps when securing them down using the frame). when trailering it down the road, I've seen what appeared to be 6-10 inches of up-travel after the trailer hit a big enough bump. if one of your suspension compression devices (say a ratchet strap) were to come loose inside your trailer, the KRX could foreseeably damage it's own roof along with the roof in your trailer if it's already a close fit.

back when i had purpose built rock crawlers, i had one on one tons and 40's that the roof line was 2" too tall to clear under my old garage door. i would air down to under 2 psi, the tires would flatten almost to the point (but not quite) of being 'flat' and then I'd crawl it in the garage- then for a while I'd re-inflate them to about 6psi (round-ish again), then i figured out that putting it up on jack stands so i wouldn't have to re-inflate them and the tires wouldn't get damaged from sitting flat.

in your trailer though that's not a real viable option getting to the tire valves to air up between destinations is gonna be a bee-otch. if you have the funds and the space to store it, your next option might be a flat deck trailer or car trailer to haul the KRX on- or a trailer with a taller roof line.

·
Registered
Las Vegas, NV
388 Posts
ugh, not an easy problem to solve.

FWIW: my KRX on 34" Terrabites, factory roof panel and with stock springs (that are a little sagged like they do) measures 77"-78" to the top of the roof line
my thoughts on this: there is no real safe way to pull down the rear suspension effectively to make this happen. any kind of ratchet strap to the rear suspension and body is gonna be a Darwin moment waiting to happen- as that is a whole lotta stored energy waiting to uleash itself..... that spring compressor idea works great until you hit a big bump and the springs compress far enough to unload the compressor then 'oops', then $$$ fixing the damage- those kind of spring compressors aren't meant for a "dynamic" load like that- they're only meant for a 'motionless' spring hold while changing a strut..... suspension springs are no joke, I've been privy to when other guys in my shop didn't mount a strut in the spring compressor correctly and all hell broke loose when it came free. keep in mind this: I tie mine down using tire bonnet hold downs (the preferred way when tying down our rigs because of their tremendous amount of suspension travel can break straps when securing them down using the frame). when trailering it down the road, I've seen what appeared to be 6-10 inches of up-travel after the trailer hit a big enough bump. if one of your suspension compression devices (say a ratchet strap) were to come loose inside your trailer, the KRX could foreseeably damage it's own roof along with the roof in your trailer if it's already a close fit.

back when i had purpose built rock crawlers, i had one on one tons and 40's that the roof line was 2" too tall to clear under my old garage door. i would air down to under 2 psi, the tires would flatten almost to the point (but not quite) of being 'flat' and then I'd crawl it in the garage- then for a while I'd re-inflate them to about 6psi (round-ish again), then i figured out that putting it up on jack stands so i wouldn't have to re-inflate them and the tires wouldn't get damaged from sitting flat.

in your trailer though that's not a real viable option getting to the tire valves to air up between destinations is gonna be a bee-otch. if you have the funds and the space to store it, your next option might be a flat deck trailer or car trailer to haul the KRX on- or a trailer with a taller roof line.

For my situation, I have enough room once inside. I will release the tension on the straps when traveling.

I too tie down with wheel bonnets. So far no roof contact after several thousand miles of trailering.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I tried a few options to ratchet the suspension down. First, I tried the basic spring compressor, one on each large spring. That didn't work so good, only got about a half inch or so of extra clearance. Then I tried some 2" ratchet straps, hooked from just above the shock, down around the swing arm. That worked great, got about a two inch drop.

If you have a premium KRX roof, that adds about 2.5-3" to your height.

Btw, these work great for a poor mans limit straps.:p

View attachment 11017 View attachment 11018 View attachment 11019 View attachment 11020
I like this idea, I may go this route

·
Registered
Las Vegas, NV
388 Posts
Back when I had the factory premium roof, like you have, I used to remove it for trailer loading. Kind of a chore, so now I have a flat style roof.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts