Kawasaki KRX Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

Super Moderator
2020 Kawasaki KRX
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Good stuff Bob, didn't see any Poughkeepsie pics though 馃槈
Really gonna miss Kendall Mt Trail and Handlebars Food and Saloon with the Silverton OHV ban.
Looks like you made it up Wager to Sherman, is it still for sale? You buyin?
That would be Carson, and yes it's still for sale. Didn't have my checkbook with me so it's still up for grabs... :)

We did also ride into Sherman since the turn was only a few hundred feet from our campground. Went clear to the end of the road to Cuba Gulch Trailhead about dusk searching for moose. No luck.

Didn't have time for Poughkeepsie this trip, and we weren't confident in the abilities of one of the couples. Gives me something to look forward to for the next trip down there.

Super Moderator
2020 Kawasaki KRX
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Let's see if I can remember the trails we rode. 190 miles all in. Doesn't sound like many miles but figure 8-10 mph max average on those trails and it's about 21 hours of drive time. (not including all the stops)

Alpine Loop
American Basin
Rd. 36 - Wager Gulch
Rd. 14X - A loop that comes out at Ski Hill
Rd. 14 - Nellie Creek
Rd. 21 - Hurricane Basin - to Golconda Boarding House
Rd. 9 - Picayune Gulch - started loop below Animas Forks and came back down Placer Gulch

Registered
2021 KRX
Let's see if I can remember the trails we rode. 190 miles all in. Doesn't sound like many miles but figure 8-10 mph max average on those trails and it's about 21 hours of drive time. (not including all the stops)

Alpine Loop
American Basin
Rd. 36 - Wager Gulch
Rd. 14 - Nellie Creek
Rd. 9 - Picayune Gulch - started loop below Animas Forks and came back down Placer Gulch
That would be Carson, and yes it's still for sale. Didn't have my checkbook with me so it's still up for grabs... :)

We did also ride into Sherman since the turn was only a few hundred feet from our campground. Went clear to the end of the road to Cuba Gulch Trailhead about dusk searching for moose. No luck.

Didn't have time for Poughkeepsie this trip, and we weren't confident in the abilities of one of the couples. Gives me something to look forward to for the next trip down there.

My mistake, I meant Carson.
If you'd pick that up we could have a big KRX rendezvous there!

Registered
2021 KRX

Alpine Loop
American Basin
Rd. 36 - Wager Gulch
Rd. 14 - Nellie Creek
Sounds like you stayed pretty active to cover all that with some sightseeing mixed in.
Crowded?
A little early but any colors showing yet?

I used to take the right fork at the top of Wager to watch the sunrise, but they closed it.
Running that ridge road off Picayune is a favorite too, looked like one of your pictures was taken from there?

Super Moderator
2020 Kawasaki KRX
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Sounds like you stayed pretty active to cover all that with some sightseeing mixed in.
Crowded?
A little early but any colors showing yet?

I used to take the right fork at the top of Wager to watch the sunrise, but they closed it.
Running that ridge road off Picayune is a favorite too, looked like one of your pictures was taken from there?
We didn't spend much time sitting around camp. Usually on the trails by 0900 and back late afternoon just in time to start dinner.
There were a fair number of folks up there but nothing too horrible. Once off of the loop and on the side trails you didn't run across many other machines.
We were probably about 2 weeks too early for the fall colors. There were a few just starting to show hints of turning.
We did the Picayune/Placer loop and ran the offshoot trails off of Picayune. Good eye.

Registered
Is there no way to connect to Imogene pass back to Ouray legally from the bottom of black bear?
I like staying in Ouray, it鈥檚 a bit more centrally located for a bunch of trails but Lake City is amazing too.

Super Moderator
2020 Kawasaki KRX
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Is there no way to connect to Imogene pass back to Ouray legally from the bottom of black bear?
I like staying in Ouray, it鈥檚 a bit more centrally located for a bunch of trails but Lake City is amazing too.
Unfortunately there is not.

Registered
Just got back from four days of riding the Alpine Loop and surrounding trails. If you like riding in the HIGH country, and the most beautiful views in Colorado, this needs to be on your bucket list.

We were camped at 9,600' and most everything went up from there. I was riding with two identical Polaris RZR PRO XP 4 Ultimate machines. What an amazing area.

Here is a link to some of my photos from the trip. Click on pictures to view in full size. There is an arrow on the right to advance from picture to picture so you don't have to click on each picture.

Alpine Loop photos link

View attachment 10798
Just got back from four days of riding the Alpine Loop and surrounding trails. If you like riding in the HIGH country, and the most beautiful views in Colorado, this needs to be on your bucket list.

We were camped at 9,600' and most everything went up from there. I was riding with two identical Polaris RZR PRO XP 4 Ultimate machines. What an amazing area.

Here is a link to some of my photos from the trip. Click on pictures to view in full size. There is an arrow on the right to advance from picture to picture so you don't have to click on each picture.

Alpine Loop photos link

View attachment 10798

Super Moderator
2020 Kawasaki KRX
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
So if you are street legal in your state AZ you can ride through town?
No you cannot. Colorado does not recognize any UTV/ATV as being street legal. Individual towns/counties can allow it if they choose, but if there is a state highway running through town, you can't ride on it regardless of the rules for local streets. Telluride does NOT allow us on their streets.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts