Kawasaki KRX Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Vendor
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Order online:

Get rid of the ridiculous shift gate on your stock KRX 1000. This shift gate from AJ's will allow you to shift back and forth between gears much quicker and smoother. Go directly from high/low to reverse to keep yourself from rolling backwards when steep hill climbs go wrong. Made of plastic just like OEM so you dont have to worry about rattling against metal/aluminum or paint chipping off on your shifter arm. Guaranteed the smoothest shift gate around.

Fits 2020-2021 KRX 1000

Install Instructions:

1. REMOVE SHIFT KNOB

2. REMOVE PUSH PINS FROM FRONT PORTION OF CONSOLE AND 2 PHILLIPS SCREWS IN CUP HOLDERS

3. LIFT CONSOLE COVER UP AND REST IT ON THE SHIFT HANDLE

4. SPREAD THE RUBBER DUST SEAL FROM AROUND THE FACTORY GATE

5. (CARREFULLY) REMOVE BOLTS FROM SHIFT GATE AND CRUSH RINGS

!!!!!!!!!!!!! THEY ARE A LOOSE FIT IN THE FACTORY GATE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. WITH A SMALL HAMMER FLIP OUR GATE UPSIDE DOWN AND REST IT ON A SQUARE EDGE BENCH TOP OR COUNTER TOP AND TAP IN THE FACTORY CRUSH RINGS INTO OUR GATE HOLES ( TIGHT FIT)

7. INSTALL OUR GATE WITH THE LONG SLOT ON THE DRIVER SIDE AND INTALL FACTORY BOLTS.

8. CLOSE EVERYTHING BACK UP AND INSTALL SHIFT KNOB

·
Registered
363 Posts
They forgot the adjust shift cable step. Any gate change needs this, sometimes even R&Ring the stock unit needs it.

·
Vendor
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They forgot the adjust shift cable step. Any gate change needs this, sometimes even R&Ring the stock unit needs it.
Are you talking about the shift detents in the stock gate? There is not enough room to put those in and have the dual pattern. I have the shifter in my KRX and it works way better than the stock shift gate.

·
Vendor
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
anyone use this and can review it?
I use it in my KRX. Here are the advantages:

1. Plastic shift gate does not damage the shift handle and glides smooth from gear to gear.
2. Fast shifting low to reverse for quicker maneuvering and stopping backward roll overs.
3. Shift gate looks stock.
4. Price is right!

·
Registered
363 Posts
Are you talking about the shift detents in the stock gate? There is not enough room to put those in and have the dual pattern. I have the shifter in my KRX and it works way better than the stock shift gate.
No. You need to adjust the cable. It will hit on high or reverse without being adjusted to the new gate. When adjusted right it will not touch on either end when in gear and your not touching the shifter. If this isn't an issue with the Aj's gate it's to long of a gate. It's an issue with stock and EXE gates and many machines are not adjusted right from the factory.

·
Vendor
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The shifter hits the end of the gate when shifting. Gears are all the way in. Works perfect. I will post a pic soon.

·
Registered
363 Posts
It's hard to be sure in the pictures but it appears the shifter is resting on the shift gate when in all gears but high? It should not touch the ends of the shift after being shifted. There should be a slight gap in all gear positions when your hand is not on the shifter. This is the case with all shift gates, OEM included. Adjusting the cable at the transmission should get you set right for high and reverse, if the gate is designed right and nothing is worn out on your machine. I don't recall any adjustment for length of throw so if cant get it where it isn't touching at end at the same time filing away some material is the only adjustment. Same goes if it's touching the low gate when high and reverse are good.

I see most aftermarket gate set wrong and some of oem are not right from the dealer. I believe this is lot of the popping out gear issue's people are having. Pressure on the shifter will wear the shift fork. The worn shift fork will need even more throw to detent into gear and the problem just keeps making itself worse. It's just like driving with your hand on the shifter.

·
Registered
363 Posts
This works perfect in my machine. It should work perfect in yours also.
I just trying to help you avoid an issue in the future. The shifter handle should not touch the gate after it's in gear. This will put constant pressure against the shift detent and will cause unnecessary wear. It's one of those things thats fine until it isn't, then it's too late for any adjustment to help.

This is close to right. A little tight on reverse but still not touching. It also shows a good reason not to a metal gate.

·
Vendor
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I looked at a lot of shifters before I settled on AJ's. I have shifters for every popular machine. I have literally seen or tried them all. For $45 this is the steel of the century in shifters. The pictures posted were from my shop KRX. We set our shop cars up to look and run well. A great shift gate is one of the items I insist on in a machine I drive.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts