Kawasaki KRX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 KRX
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I was flipping my Frog Skins over (plastic grid side out) and I noticed that the air intake for the belt side was partially blocked, vs wide open for the air filter side. Any ideas why Kawi did this?

Wondering if it would do any good to take a dremel to the extra plastic to help in keeping the clutch’s cooler?

·
Registered
2020 Green KRX
454 Posts
So, I was flipping my Frog Skins over (plastic grid side out) and I noticed that the air intake for the belt side was partially blocked, vs wide open for the air filter side. Any ideas why Kawi did this?

Wondering if it would do any good to take a dremel to the extra plastic to help in keeping the clutch’s cooler?
I saw that too. I left it alone. I’ve never had my cvt temp gauge go over 2 bars. That’s riding in 108 degrees in the dunes in the summertime givin it hell.

·
Premium Member
2020 KRX
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I saw that too. I left it alone. I’ve never had my cvt temp gauge go over 2 bars. That’s riding in 108 degrees in the dunes in the summertime givin it hell.
Yeah, same here. Was just scratching my head as to WHY. The only thing I can think of is to block a direct shot of water from going straight down the tube.🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
2020 Green KRX
454 Posts
Yes.. exactly. They’re covered for your intakes. Keeps all the mud and crap from ripping and collecting on them.
I flipped mine around seems to be holding up ok. I took my machine mud bogging once (never again) and plenty of dirt got in the air boxes. It’s easy to remove them, wash them out and reinstall. It wasn’t a lot but still enough to raise an eye brow

·
Registered
165 Posts
I flipped mine around seems to be holding up ok. I took my machine mud bogging once (never again) and plenty of dirt got in the air boxes. It’s easy to remove them, wash them out and reinstall. It wasn’t a lot but still enough to raise an eye brow
Yeah... the issue I see is winter riding and mud. You get mud and water in them and they freeze... then you get a restricted air intake. If you tear up the covers you could have just bought the AJ’s. It makes it better when your washing the machine and just all around a better design than being so open to the elements. For me they’re well worth the $100

·
Premium Member
2020 KRX
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I flipped mine around due to the frog skins not sealing perfectly around the edges. I don’t deal with mud here in AZ, but dust is the monster here. If they ever break, I’ll look into the ones from AJ.

·
Registered
2020 Green KRX
454 Posts
Yeah... the issue I see is winter riding and mud. You get mud and water in them and they freeze... then you get a restricted air intake. If you tear up the covers you could have just bought the AJ’s. It makes it better when your washing the machine and just all around a better design than being so open to the elements. For me they’re well worth the $100
I’m in a desert area also. Not much snow or mud here. When you flip them around it’s near impossible to tear them. Not sure why they didn’t come that way from the factory. The protection from this simple mod is excellent. I usually throw some chamois over the intakes when washing. Works out well.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Kawasaki KRX
490 Posts
I’m in a desert area also. Not much snow or mud here. When you flip them around it’s near impossible to tear them. Not sure why they didn’t come that way from the factory. The protection from this simple mod is excellent. I usually throw some chamois over the intakes when washing. Works out well.
I flipped mine real early on to protect them from tree branch's. I agree, they should come this way from the factory. I know a lot of folks are afraid they will get sucked down the intakes. That just isn't going to ever happen.

·
Registered
2020 Green KRX
454 Posts
I flipped mine real early on to protect them from tree branch's. I agree, they should come this way from the factory. I know a lot of folks are afraid they will get sucked down the intakes. That just isn't going to ever happen.
I agree 100%. There’s not enough suction to pull them off. Maybe with a supercharger might be a different story. Even if they do get sucked in, the air filter will catch it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts