Kawasaki KRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know that Kawasaki has a Build and Price feature on their website, and I think it's an EXCELLENT feature. I also am seriously impressed with their offerings. But I'm still wondering how members here are getting their KRX accessories purchased and installed?

Are you ordering your KRX new with a package or custom selection of accessories to be installed before you ever see it?

Are you negotiating with your dealer to have some installed before the sale closes?

Are you buying it stock and then going back later for accessories?

Also feel free to contribute comments about aftermarket accessories, but I think everything that Kawasaki is offering is so complete and also fairly priced.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'll take a shot at replying to this. Good questions. I presented a list to the parts dept. some acc were kawi some weren't. Purchase price included a 20% discount on all acc that they could provide and free installation. I provided the acc they couldn't and they installed those for free also. I was happy with the deal.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I'll take a shot at replying to this. Good questions. I presented a list to the parts dept. some acc were kawi some weren't. Purchase price included a 20% discount on all acc that they could provide and free installation. I provided the acc they couldn't and they installed those for free also. I was happy with the deal.
Pretty much this. Except I didn't provide any accessories. As I'm going through things, I noticing a few I wouldn't have done that like that items on the installs. For example, the positive boot on the battery wasn't notched for the winch power cable. It was hap hazard hanging there kind of pressed on. 🤔 Still have one more accessory, the tailgate to go after being backordered a month. I did get a decent discount on a spare tire and rim.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I bought mine bone stock. I picked up my accessories after the fact, and do all my own install. I don’t like people working on my machine, as it’s not theirs, and they don’t pay attention to detail like I do.
I’m with Bigparm. This is the way I have done my Krx and my rzr turbo. I can’t handle others working on my stuff either.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I’m with Bigparm. This is the way I have done my Krx and my rzr turbo. I can’t handle others working on my stuff either.
Yeah......"fast rate" installs. So far, 1 tire rack exploded cuz it was not installed properly (get to make a 240 mile round trip next week for that), rear drivers wheel three lugs pretty under torqued, battery positive cover flopping loose. My son is best friends with a dealership owners son.......when he was in high school,, he would make extra $$$$ on weekends assembling Polaris product.

·
Premium Member
2020 KRX
1,209 Posts
Yeah......"fast rate" installs. So far, 1 tire rack exploded cuz it was not installed properly (get to make a 240 mile round trip next week for that), rear drivers wheel three lugs pretty under torqued, battery positive cover flopping loose. My son is best friends with a dealership owners son.......when he was in high school,, he would make extra $$$$ on weekends assembling Polaris product.
Bingo!

Anyone who buys this machine (or any other) absolutely needs to go through it from top to bottom checking all the nuts bolts and screws. When dealerships are assembling these things, it’s usually under pressure from the sale of it to a customer, so time is important, and attention to detail is not.

Now with that being said. There are really good dealers out there that understand the importance of doing things the “right way”, and that people can get hurt if things are not done properly. But unfortunately, they are far and few between.

·
Registered
616 Posts
IIRC, the accessories have a longer warranty period if installed by the dealer. I was just going to have my accessories package drop shipped and was going to do it my self. Wires got crossed and the dealer assumed it was his job. He had most of them on whan I found out so it was WTH, just finish the installs.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Bought mine and negotiated final price with some accessories installed. Felt like I got a good deal, and if the dealer wired the winch wrong I have a scapegoat! Now, I would prefer to do any of the installs myself for the reasons listed above by others. (not to mention I'll know how it all fits together for any trail repairs if needed).

·
Registered
616 Posts
Wow, what frickin timing. I just got an online survey from Kawasaki about dealer experiemce and accessories. I'm starting to think they moniter this board. Being nice isn't going to help them improve...being truthful will. Hopefully.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I called both Kawasaki dealers in my area, and even though one of them mentioned a same-day purchase 10% discount on accessories, both of them said it was normal labor rates to install them. I wish I had your free installation dealer in my area. I'm in AZ. Who knows, I may have to branch out to California to look for free installation opportunities.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Thanks EVERYONE for your replies. I agree that if you're a person who is capable and motivated to install things yourself, that is satisfying and gives you more in-depth knowledge about your machine. I'm not in this category, but I'm pretty good at gathering knowledge to communicate with the mechanics or service advisors about how things should be installed if any decisions need to be made.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Green KRX
1,282 Posts
My experience is dealer offered me nothing. I think the accessories are all overpriced compared to aftermarket (or sanity). $600 for a single row light bar + another $150 for the wiring kit is a rip off. I think some of the accessories should have come stock on these machines. I.e the wide fender kit. There’s certain things I’ll stick to kawi like all maintenance and mechanical parts. Everything else I’ve defected to aftermarket.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My experience is dealer offered me nothing. I think the accessories are all overpriced compared to aftermarket (or sanity). $600 for a single row light bar + another $150 for the wiring kit is a rip off. I think some of the accessories should have come stock on these machines. I.e the wide fender kit. There’s certain things I’ll stick to kawi like all maintenance and mechanical parts. Everything else I’ve defected to aftermarket.
I agree with you. I wish those harness seat belts would have come stock, only because they are the only accessories that gave me PRICE SHOCK when I studied the Kawasaki website accessory offerings.........well maybe that light bar too.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Green KRX
1,282 Posts
I agree with you. I wish those harness seat belts would have come stock, only because they are the only accessories that gave me PRICE SHOCK when I studied the Kawasaki website accessory offerings.........well maybe that light bar too.
Not only pricing but just about every Kawasaki accessory is on back order. I searched for a sport roof and was told it was 2 months on back order. Finally I was able to find one at a dealer 3 hours away. But just like every dealer the customer service was horrible. I wanted the roof for the weekend and let them know that I would pay for overnight shipping. I was presented with “that’s not gonna happen” just a bunch of excuses and rude customer service. I drove to the dealer the following morning and spoke to the rude lady. I told her I guess if y’all won’t make it happen I did huh? She began to apologize and I told her to save me the sob story. The thing is people WANT to spend money on their KRXs it’s those dealers and people that are willing to go the extra mile or hell just help you-that will get the sale. I just don’t understand why Kawasaki as a whole has such low standards in their dealerships. Some of them look like run down shacks from 1960 and they’re allowed to have a filth of a “dealership” and that’s ok? I get COVID will make things harder especially now, but COVID is not an excuse for having a bad experience or horrible customer service. Aftermarket shops out dominating the accessory market because of this. And some of their products are even better quality than factory. EMP light bar bracket mounts, incredible design and product. Compare that to the kawi ones and you’d be boggled why someone would design a bracket that requires a special tool to install it. So much stuff man, but there are plenty of threads on here with great product reviews. I have my KRX loaded with stuff if you need any info let me know.

·
Premium Member
2020 KRX
1,209 Posts
It’s funny, (not really) Kawasaki has a zero tolerance policy when it comes to dealers. The best thing you can do, is email Kawasaki with your dealer complaint and let them deal with it. The only way Kawi finds out about its dealers is through feedback from customers. Dealer gets enough complaints from people, Kawi pulls their license to sell. (I’ve seen it happen)

·
Registered
616 Posts
Just closed the books on my accessory warrant/replacement with Kawasaki. Between back orders and accessory warranty a little over a month. It only took 4 hours to get the spare tire carrier installed yesterday.:rolleyes: As my son and I were waiting, he saw my machine finally being wheeled out out of the shop......"here it is"....me "wanna bet they forgot the tailgate?" Sure enough. Pretty much told my sales guy (who is great) this is the reason folks do this stuff themselves. If you can't remember to install a tail gate, how can a customer feel confident that you adjusted the valves correctly, remembered to torque the lug nuts or intake manifold right etc. Stuff you don't want to be thinking about when you are miles off road.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Green KRX
1,282 Posts
I’ve received about 4-5 surveys now. I’ve Grenaded them all with brutal honesty. I have yet to see anything get better. Too @Remote 8 ’s point. They’ll hire anybody. The service advisor I dealt with worked at a jiffy lube before the dealership. Somehow I knew more about my machine than he did. I wonder why?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts