Kawasaki KRX Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I'll start by saying that this community is amazing and helpful, and very much appreciated
I sourced the roll cage, roof, tires, and front shocks gently used from members of this forum.
All the cool new stuff I got from FueledUTV and some of the other stuff from posts that I saw on this forum.

Here's how the journey started for me.

This is the pic that I had to go on to assess the damage. By sheer luck and some internet sleuthing skills,
I found the thread for Rocky Heap's 'ol Blue after I got it home and looked up "ripped off lower control arm" or something like that.
Insurance auctions are risky sometimes. You don't get to physically see the vehicle anymore in post-Covid land so you take a gamble off pics and a little mechanical know-how.

I got it dropped off into my garage to assess what kind of damage I was looking at

The first problem was the lower A-arm was ripped out and bent the wrong way

If anyone runs into this problem and wants an easy fix, you could repair it by welding on some washers or by doing what I did.
I bought the SuperATV Frame Stiffener kit and bolted it on. It looked like it would solve this issue and it worked like a champ after ordering new arms and installing them.

On to the next issue, the front driver side shock busted out the Heim end and I bought a new end from Shock Therapy. Ultimately, I didn't end up going through the process of replacing the end because I bought 2 front take-offs from another member's Trail edition. It is possible if anyone wants to do it. You would just need a vice with some aluminum angle iron to hold the shaft, a torch to heat up the end for removal, and a press to install the bearings into the Heim and screw it back on.

The next was removing the roll cage and installing the new one. I will start by saying that the roll cage holds the frame in place, and if the cage is tweaked, then the panels and doors will most likely not line up. So, after installing the new cage, not easy BTW, everything lined up and the machine was back to all the doors closing and panels lining up great!!

I had the Dirt Warrior windshield glass replaced and bent back into shape by a local glass guy and put it on the new cage.

Rather than replace the one damaged control arm, I bought new SuperATV High clearance A-Arms and Rhino 2.0 HD Axles from FueledUTV
BTW, the guys over at FueledUTV in Yakima were awesome to deal with. I had a few issues that they resolved immediately. I had 2 passenger side axles show up at the house and I called them and they had a driver-side one in the mail to me that day with a shipping label to return the wrong one. And the XTR370's were on backorder and they were super helpful when I asked to cancel the order for the tires.

OK, on the next issue. This was a NOOB move on my part, but I installed the driver-side axle on the passenger side. The passenger side has a longer spline than the drivers and needless to say, I got it stuck and it would not come out because of the C-clip. After reading horror stories online about getting a stuck axle out, I went to Harbor Freight and bought a 5lb slide hammer set. Then over to O'reillys to get a CV axle adapter.

I must have been lucky, but after 3 hard pulls on that stuck KRX axle, it popped right out!! Better to be lucky than good I guess

The bed was looking a little rough so I ordered the Tesseract box from Russia. $350 and no problems, I had it about 10 days later after I Paypaled the guy over there.

I met up with Dave "Rocky Heap" and he hooked me up with a bunch of extra parts and the blue beadlock trim for my wheels. Thanks Dave!!

Some of the additions so far are:
Click 6 Harnesses
Tesseract Russian box
Galaxy 10.4 tab and mount
35"XTR370's
RCOR clutch weights
Alba tuned ECM
System 3 wheels
SuperATV Frame stiffener
Super ATV A-arms
Rhino 2.0 axles
G-Boost Badass Belt
Trail Armor skid plate
RokBlokz mudguards

It's finally on the trails and I'm sure I'm not finished but here's a pic as it sits now.

·
Registered
701 Posts
A very good thread! Done similar things in the past myself. Honest Question for everyone here. In a circumstance like this are there issues with insurance, licensing for use, or titles?

·
Super Moderator
2020 Green KRX
1,550 Posts
Considering the market inflation right now that’s a great deal. We were able to get 2 of them for 16,500 OTD last year. But those times are long gone.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Prob half of what the rest of us paid this year and nice work with the rehap looks good! Look forward to seeing ya on the trail and/or dunes!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Looks fantastic, you did a great job!

Considering the market inflation right now that’s a great deal. We were able to get 2 of them for 16,500 OTD last year. But those times are long gone.
It's depressing going to dealerships now. Darn near everything is 3-6 month out orders. I remember when you used to be able to get $3500 off of sticker from multiple dealers like it was nothing.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts